short hunting

Aszmodious

I have a short some where that draws 11amps out of my battery unless i remove the silver breaker fuse in which case it stops my seats, door locks, fuel flap button, radio, and trunk button from working can anyone help me narrow it down so i can fix it? As long as the fuse isn't in the car is fine

Yeah its a dual xd1228 am/fm/cd the guy i bought it from said he had it professionally installed but the wires that stick out everywhere sayvotherwise.... and i dont know how or dare to rewire it when i disconnected the stuff attached to the stock radio wiring the short stopped lol just wish i knew how to redo it =/

Is there no radio in the hole? I'm a little confused. Go to the12volt.com
Lots of free wiring diagrams there. look up your cars specific info there and then apply it to the wiring you are seeing. Is it an aftermarket system or just a headunit? If its just the headunit it could be the constant 12 volt touching something. Or it could be the headunit itself. If it has aftermarket amps those are a likely culprit if someone did something interesting with the remote wire (A car came into the shop that had one come off the battery thus the amps were on all the time) there are a lot of variables here. It might not even be the radio

It is tight behind the dash ... a lot of aftermarket radios don't fit that well. Maybe the power wire chafed and grounded out to the metal chassis?

Ill see if i can post a picture on here so you can get a better idea on what u mean by lots of extra wiring

Pic 2 is where radio wires conect to everything else

Attachments

• 1362619952895.jpg
    1362619952895.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 1362619975099.jpg
    1362619975099.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1362620010691.jpg
    1362620010691.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1362619910602.jpg
    1362619910602.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 47
What year is this car? Do you have the little switch next to the radio that lets you put the antenna up and down manually? If so, there is no way (that I know of) to use the auto antenna output from the radio.

The Schosche box appears to be a line level converter, knocking down the level of the amplified outputs from the head unit so they can function as pre-amp inputs for the factory amplifier. That is a lot of wiring there. Was that wiring run all the way to the trunk?

Its a 1994 sc 5sp with a phone hookup theres no button for the antenna anywhere the wires where routed down under the middle console around the shifter to the scosche box and back up to the radio for some god awful reason

Last edited:
I know its a metra fd-5011 wiring harness adaptor and the blue wire With The white stripe and the solid blue wire Are connected to The radios remote turn-on wire

Attachments

• 1362630808585.jpg
    1362630808585.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 31
Ok, I think I see what they did. The wiring for the radio may have been right, but sloppy.

But how is that popping the fuse? The radio has its own fuse. What if you open up the fuse holder and then plug the radio back to the harness? Does the fuse still pop?

It doesnt pop a fuse at all it just drains the battery and causes one of the circuit breaker fuses to become about 700 degrees the metal one

Back