PBR calipers for thunderbirds?

90tbirdsc

Hey guys, when I purchased my 1990 thunderbird sc it came with a bunch of boxes of extra parts. One of them had these dual piston calipers only brand markings I can see are pbr. I've done a little research and I don't think these are a direct bolt on, or did they make some direct fit ones for the thunderbirds 10-15 years ago? If they won't bolt directly on what will I need to make them work/fit?

Hey guys, when I purchased my 1990 thunderbird sc it came with a bunch of boxes of extra parts. One of them had these dual piston calipers only brand markings I can see are pbr. I've done a little research and I don't think these are a direct bolt on, or did they make some direct fit ones for the thunderbirds 10-15 years ago? If they won't bolt directly on what will I need to make them work/fit?

They might be ones for 99+ mustangs. They will work on your tbird, but you will have to change your spindles to 93+ thunderbird or mark viii. I actually have a set of mark viii spindles available for sale.
Ken

Yep, the 99-04 Mustang V6/GT PBR dual piston calipers will bolt right up to a set of 93+ spindles using the Mustang caliper brackets. They are a worthwhile upgrade.

P1130611.jpg

Not QUITE bolt right up ... there's an active thread that covers the very minor mod to make it fit right over on TCCoA (linky: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=106357 covers the install, and there's a few notes in http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=57171 which also covers the installation about a minor fitment issue.)

BIGGEST thing is to find the right banjo bolts - some years use the same as the TBird, some do not.

Also, with the spindle change, you'll need 93+ swaybar end links.

RwP

How do I know if the previous owner installed the 93+ spindles as hubs?

This is an old, small picture, but it will hopefully be of use here:

spindles.jpg

The caliper mounting, swaybar endlink attachment, and shape of the spindle itself are among the differences. Also, just to add a little more info, the 89-90 hub diameter where the rotor slides onto the hub is slightly larger than the 91+ versions, IIRC.

I went out and checked and they are definately the stock 1990 spindles and hubs.

So I will need 93+ spindles and hubs to fit the pbr calipers correct? Also some mustang brake lines and banjo bolts? What about the lower control arm, will that work with 93+ spindles?

You can either cut material some off the brass part of your hose ends or you can grind the flat on the Mustang/PBR aluminum caliper.

I plan to hit the junk yard when it gets warmer and grab some spindles. Anyone has a list of tools I should bring...

So I will need 93+ spindles and hubs to fit the pbr calipers correct?

Yes. If you're retaining ABS, you'll want to find a set with the ABS sensor and ring. If you're not retaining ABS, I have a non-ABS set here.

Also some mustang brake lines and banjo bolts?

Keep your stock brake lines and hoses. Get the Mustang banjo bolts and a set of new copper crush washers.

What about the lower control arm, will that work with 93+ spindles?

Your stock lower control arm will be fine.

What Racecougar said.

I'll add that Ruby now stops MUCH better.

When I say "Whoa, girl. Whoa. WHOA!!", I don't want to be like Yosemite Sam when he does that to a horse ... :D

RwP

Back