Blown head gasket or Intake Gasket?

Corabar

So i finally got around to removing the intake manifold on my 89 sc with 245,000 miles. I had coolant in the oil, a misfire, and my boost gauge was reading 10 vacuum at idle. After removing the manifold i dicovered coolant underneath my intake manifold. And there was a puddle of coolant near cylinder 1. Is it possible that a bad head gasket can cause the coolantto get undernearth the manifold? Also it is possible that a head gasket could cause all these problems? My intake manifold gaskets looked a little warped but nothing major. I will upload a picture of them.

Definitely possible that your head gaskets are leaking. With 250000 miles I would probably go through the whole motor if you have coolant in the bottom end. You might be wasting your time to do anything less than that in my opinion. When you pull the heads you will be able to see if a cylinder was leaking coolant because the piston will be extra clean compared to the others. You could have a cracked block or head as well.

Chris

The antifreeze is probably because you pulled the intake and it fell in there from
the coolant pasages.

Do a compression test..And wouldnt hurt to do teh head gaskets at this point

Last edited:
Back