PCV system

kenewagner

I have been thinking about how I should run the PCV system on my new combination. For a clean uncluttered look I was thinking of fabricating a small catch tank under one of my engine compartment side panels on my car. Joining the two new valve covers together with a SS braided hose and than running a hose from a valve cover to the catch tank. My question is should I install a PCV valve into the catch tank or just install a couple of small cone air filters and forget the vacuum side of the stock system. Does the PCV system throw codes if not hook up or working. Just getting some ideas here

Ken

Don't need a pcv valve. Just vent both covers. And don't run them to the pressurized intake or you will start pushing gaskets and dipsticks out. I would say run them back to the inlet of the turbos but that is a long run for your setup. I don't like the oil smell of them vented to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Any performance engine should not have the crank pressure put back into the intake. There will always be oil in it. Oil in the intake charge can and will lead to preignition.

Any performance engine should not have the crank pressure put back into the intake. There will always be oil in it. Oil in the intake charge can and will lead to preignition.

Do you just vent to a catch can? Any close up pictures of your setup?

Ken

I was also going to change the vent sytem when I reinstall mine ken and not put the tube in the CAI. I would really like to run two of the small filters on the valve covers to vent them. Hopefully this would prevent oil in the intake and supercharger.

Folks this is what you want to run. You will need to do more than just vent the valve covers especially with a forced induction motor that builds up a boat load of crankcase pressure. Crankcase pressure actually hurts performance and what you want to do is evacuate it out through the exhaust. On high performance applications I use the kit below.

http://mr-gasket.com/crankcase-evacuation-system.html

Folks this is what you want to run. You will need to do more than just vent the valve covers especially with a forced induction motor that builds up a boat load of crankcase pressure. Crankcase pressure actually hurts performance and what you want to do is evacuate it out through the exhaust. On high performance applications I use the kit below.

http://mr-gasket.com/crankcase-evacuation-system.html

Too bad that's not going to work on a turbo. He's pretty much stuck with venting it to atmosphere.

I run a header evacuation system. It uses the exhaust to pull a little vacuum on the crankcase.

How practical would this be on a car like mine which sees street and strip duty? I like the idea of eliminating my oil catch can system and venting to the cold air intake tube. Also after looking on Summitt Racing and Jegs a lot of the kits say not to use with mufflers. Are these kits street legal and would they pass a state inspection?

Last edited:
How practical would this be on a car like mine which sees street and strip duty? I like the idea of eliminating my oil catch can system and venting to the cold air intake tube. Also after looking on Summitt Racing and Jegs a lot of the kits say not to use with mufflers. Are these kits street legal and would they pass a state inspection?

Probably not street legal. I know people that use them after mufflers, they don't work well before mufflers unless they are a straight through free flow (loud) design.

I have run them on street/strip cars in the past. last one was a 91' Notchback.

Given the location of Ken's turbos I think it might be difficult to use a venturi type evac system.

The cleanest way on his car would be using an electric vacuum pump. One valve cover would get an adjustable air inlet (to adjust crank case vacuum level) and the other valve cover would plumbed to a non vented catch can with oil separator using a 12AN hose, and then another 12AN hose from the catch can to the vacuum pump. Air exhausted from the vacuum pump can go to atmosphere or be plumbed back into the exhaust downstream of the turbos.

The easiest way, is to run a 12 AN hose from each valve cover to a vented catch can, like I did on my 93 SC. The problem with that arrangement, is smelling the crap whenever the heater is running and car is sitting still. Here are some pictures of how it looks.

garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

David

PS: Do not put breathers directly on the valve covers or you will have oil dripping from them and down onto your headers.

Last edited:
Back