Engine Harness Problem

Dragon

I just replaced my thunderbird SC engine after doing the head gaskets and now the car will not start? It turns over and at first it almost sounded like it was going to start. Now it just turns over like the cam sensors gone? I am confident everything is hooked up correctly. This engine ran before I took it out. Here is my question. On the fuel rail harness there is a bigger rectangle grey plug,( (oval inside with three female plugs) near to the right where the EGR was. Can anyone tell me where this plugs into?

The harness that has the fuel injection plugs comes from the passenger side corner near the firewall. This harness includes the six plugs for the injectors. a throttle position plug, one big rectangle plug for the throttle body. (Then the Grey one I am trying to find out about) then a round sensor plug, on the other side of the uper intercooler tube. then the harness ends

Round sensor, I would assume you mean the IAT (intake air temp). That should be connected to the plenum.

I plan on looking at the car in the next hour or so. I'll see what I can find. Is this connetor on the driver side?

this is the plug with the arrow pointed at it what does it plug into?

Attachments

• Img_2488.jpg
    Img_2488.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 100
I ended up cutting that connector off, after I removed the EGR. All it does is give a check engine light.

There is a couple of super coupes with engines in them at an auto wrecker not far from here, I guess I will head over there tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I am starting to think its the Cam sensor anyway and I do not look forward tearing this car apart again!

That connector gave me fits as to where it was to be connected as well, depending on what year SC and if it's an automatic trans it may not have an EGR valve and just hangs there doing nothing.

I just replaced my thunderbird SC engine after doing the head gaskets and now the car will not start? It turns over and at first it almost sounded like it was going to start. Now it just turns over like the cam sensors gone? I am confident everything is hooked up correctly. This engine ran before I took it out. Here is my question. On the fuel rail harness there is a bigger rectangle grey plug,( (oval inside with three female plugs) near to the right where the EGR was. Can anyone tell me where this plugs into?

Is the firing order correct? Most manuals have it posted incorrectly for our cars. This happens a lot to folks who change HG's for the first time.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120621&highlight=Firing+order&page=2

I checked the firing order, it looks correct, My friend is bringing over the OBD1reader tonight. What about the ground on the fuel rail, I bolted it to the pressure regulator bolt, maybe its not ground correctly?

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 37
I re-bolted the fuel harness ground in the proper factory lower bolt hole, on the back of the head. I took a test light and checked the one of the fuel injectors as I cranked the engine over. The test light did nothing, I am getting no power to the injectors. Does anyone have any ideas?

Check your engine ground straps. One on the pass side and one on the driver side. Both bolt to the engine mount bracket and go to the frame. Take an Ohm meter and double check resistance from any engine bolt to the frame.

by the way my sc is a 1990. I checked all the grounds in front of both new engine mounts, The grounds are connected good and tight. I checked the grounds with the Ohm reader, everything is 0.00. everthing checks out? OBD1 gave an 11 and 24 code. checked the spark it is really strong. but still no power to the injectors while cranking. At one point I locked the keys in the car, so I got some fustration out by busting the pass window to continue with this diagnostic, the broken window don't matter, allready replaced it with a spare and I have three more spares. any thoughts I am leaning towards Crank shaft sensor or camshaft sensor, I am suspicious of the timing of one of these sensors going on the fritz while installing an engine though????

Um. dumb question, but the fuel impact cutoff switch in the trunk is OK? Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Pressure at the rail?

On the firewall on the pass side is a pair of connectors near the top that are right on top of each other. One is round in black housing, the other is square in a gray case. Might check those and reseat them.

Back