To go manual or not.....

rzimmerl

Well after some thinking I recently have picked up about everything I need to go manual transmission including a new Centerforce dual friction clutch and BM short shifter. Still in need of flywheel, driveshaft, and rear gear. Which brings up a couple questions, what flywheel steel or aluminum, and what gear to run in the rear??? Also what driveshaft to use, stocker or get a Dynotech made.

Ya I know the car will not be as fast in the 1/4 but for the one time a year I actually make it to the track now, it really doesn't bother me. This should make a few people happy, yes Ken I mean you.. :p I drive the car on the street and think this would make the whole driving experience much better.

Because I am no where close to having the money to go auto, and last year I went thru 2 m5r2s and i think 2 the year before, Im bad with dates so Im not positive. Therefore, I need a steady supply of spares. SO By changing ratios of m5r2's, Im polishing my turd.;)

Well after some thinking I recently have picked up about everything I need to go manual transmission including a new Centerforce dual friction clutch and BM short shifter. Still in need of flywheel, driveshaft, and rear gear. Which brings up a couple questions, what flywheel steel or aluminum, and what gear to run in the rear??? Also what driveshaft to use, stocker or get a Dynotech made.

Ya I know the car will not be as fast in the 1/4 but for the one time a year I actually make it to the track now, it really doesn't bother me. This should make a few people happy, yes Ken I mean you.. :p I drive the car on the street and think this would make the whole driving experience much better.

I run a 307 Lincoln gear with the trac loc. 1 piece 3.5 Lincoln drive shaft and a steel fly wheel. I also have area things you might need.

Ya, its not like I am set on doing this since its some work, and could make a decent profit just selling off the parts I picked up. Plus the fact Binks has gone thru a few of them in the past, is keeping me from actually doing it. Just tossing around the idea....

Ya, its not like I am set on doing this since its some work, and could make a decent profit just selling off the parts I picked up. Plus the fact Binks has gone thru a few of them in the past, is keeping me from actually doing it. Just tossing around the idea....

I have reasons though, ira doesnt go thru any, dd doesnt, etc.

My last mr52 death was very random and I believe dyno related:(
One death was was wrecked donor car related
Another was wheel hop, but you have fancy bushings
etc etc

Last edited:
Ill switch when I can afford a 4r with lockup and trans brake. Had a non locking aod and it was the pooooooo

I am in the process of swapping to the 4R70W myself and from talking with Alan at Dirtydog you can't get a trans brake that will work right with the 4R70W. If trans brake is a must you would prob want AOD or C4/C6.

Yes do it. You will put make the car more sports. ��

The cost of the auto kept me away from an auto SC. Plus running 12s is not so bad. You will still pull on the auto on the streets.

Change over was not terrible.
But not sure why my cruise does not work. I think it didn't work before the swap.

But who knows. I hate auto cars unless there is a dual clutch between the trans and engine.

I am in the process of swapping to the 4R70W myself and from talking with Alan at Dirtydog you can't get a trans brake that will work right with the 4R70W. If trans brake is a must you would prob want AOD or C4/C6.

Go search that on yellow bullet, tons of 4rs with TB. Alan isn't a believer in it.

I got a quote on one with TB, Lock up, pan, sensors, converter, everything except shifter.

Last edited:
Go search that on yellow bullet, tons of 4rs with TB. Alan isn't a believer in it.

I got a quote on one with TB, Lock up, pan, sensors, converter, everything except shifter.

I am on there as well just not very often. Mine will have lockup a nice stall converter and everything Alan believes in lol. Would you say there is a preferred valve body (Freddy Brown or Lentech etc.) for a trans brake and since I am still with the MPX for now and don't need the crazy stall like you would need with a turbo, would you say it's worth a trans brake or not?

Last edited:
I've owned a AOD and and a 5-speed SC...and now a MN12 6-speed cough not a SC cough.

I've never liked the AOD due to how it shifted into 3rd and direct drive and how easily one could burn up a AOD band. :eek::D

I like manual transmissions but I never liked the M5R2. I never liked how it shifted. I also think I would have been much happier with 3.27's and better bushings to avoid wheel hop. 2.73's are much more fun in 2nd 3rd and if you have a WIDE open road 4th and 5th. I believe 1st and 2nd would be more fun with a 3.27 gear.

If I personally would get another SC it would be a 94-95 auto or convert it to a 6-speed.

Since you do daily driving it more than you race it and you want to give Ken a chance a the title this year I say go for it. It does make the SC feel more nimble and fun to drive on the street. Just don't sell of the AOD parts as you may regret it.

Back