bad clutch? or blower?

kw90supercoupe

Ok mine is a auto but my friends is a 5 speed xr7. The car won't move untill the clutch pedal is almost out. But even then the car only moves a lil bit. It has been gettin worrse the past month. Now it barley drives now. U can rev it up to the moon and it dosent want to grabb. Her kinda machinic said it was the blower because it makes noise. The boost gauge works fine. If the blower wasnot pushing any boost the car should grabb the gears fine and be able to drive around town fine. Right? Need a reply to show her.

Your clutch is out.

Your car idles on vacuum not boost. You can let the clutch out slowly without even using the throttle and you won't go into the "boost" section of your gauge. You don't need boost for the car to drive. Either Your pressure plate broke, or your clutch disc is completely worn. But it should kinda sound like brakes when they are metal to metal.

Ok mine is a auto but my friends is a 5 speed xr7. The car won't move untill the clutch pedal is almost out. But even then the car only moves a lil bit. It has been gettin worrse the past month. Now it barley drives now. U can rev it up to the moon and it dosent want to grabb. Her kinda machinic said it was the blower because it makes noise. The boost gauge works fine. If the blower wasnot pushing any boost the car should grabb the gears fine and be able to drive around town fine. Right? Need a reply to show her.

I would say its probably the clutch the blower has nothing to do with it lol.

I would say its probably the clutch the blower has nothing to do with it lol.

What he said.

If you've been revving it to try and get it to go the clutch is shot and will need to be replaced with a kit. It's likely you'll need to have the flywheel resurfaced (like a brake rotor or drum) as revving it likely chewed it up.

Sometimes when it's starting to slip or you don't have enough free play it can be adjusted or in our case bled and go back to being good. You are beyond that.

Attachments

• clutch set.jpg
    clutch set.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 38
Yep. Once the pedal is out, the clutch is on its own. Those fingers in the pictures, pressure plate, are the springs that push it in place. If its not grabbing, its worn out or the springs are broken.

Car will not move. Engine fells like it will stall when releasing clutch.

I was looking at a 95 SC t-bird. Here are the symptoms. Press clutch, feels like normal hydraulic clutch. start Engine. Let clutch pedal out and then engine starts to die as if it was in gear, however the car does not even attempt to move. I can shift the (very sloppy) shifter into any gear and have the same result. Any idea on this? Please help as I am trying to decide wether this car would be a good purchase for $900.00. If the clutch is the problem then i think it is a steal. If it needs a clutch and trans then $900.00 seems a bit steep.

You have a different problem so it's not a good idea to jack the thread.

"Let clutch pedal out and then engine starts to die as if it was in gear"

Was it in gear ??

If it was in neutral, could you let off the clutch pedal and keep it idling ??

Can you literally push the car when it's in neutral ?? Put it in neutral, get out and push to see if it will roll a little.

Parking brake ??

You have a different problem so it's not a good idea to jack the thread.

I appologize, can this be moved or do I need to start all over with new tread? New here and was just looking for solution.

"Let clutch pedal out and then engine starts to die as if it was in gear"

Was it in gear ?? As far as i know it was in neutral.
Shifter was really sloppy so i could not really tell if i actually achieved neutral.

If it was in neutral, could you let off the clutch pedal and keep it idling ??
I tried moving the gear shift to every possible position and could not get it to stay running when releasing the clutch.

Can you literally push the car when it's in neutral ?? Put it in neutral, get out and push to see if it will roll a little.

I did not try pushing it. It is in a garage, the owner says he had pushed it into the garage.

Parking brake ??

I tried it with the parking brake on for safety reasons. However, anytime you let a clutch out with the car running and in gear, even with the parking brake on you should still feel the car at least load up and try to move. This car does not.

I can't move it, I'm not a moderator here. It's not that I'm that picky or that I haven't jacked a thread myself it's just you might have more luck if you posted your problem so it popped up in front of everyone. When you post in someone's thread you will at best only get those peoples attention who are commenting above you. In this case I think it's only three or four people.

To cover the obvious, something has to be in gear and or seized for it to stall. It might be something easy like a loose shift fork inside the trans or even just bad linkage where all the bushings have worn out but I can't think of how a clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing could be causing it.

My guess from what you're describing is transmission linkage or transmission. The part that worries me would be that you say it doesn't try to move. That would indicate it's in gear and the gears are seized or a gear is damaged and jammed in place. It's about the only way you'd have that happen.

Pushing it may sound really dumb but it would tell you if the wheels are free to turn, parking brake is released, the ring and pinion are loose and the drive shaft is turning. - - - < If that is the case it's pretty much the transmission itself.

Mr

Thanks for your reply, What you are saying is also my thought. I was thinking that maybe the shifter being so sloppy has possibly moved the shift fork to where the 2 gears are stuck in between engaged and disengaged. Not sure how to word it. Anyways Do you think that if it needs a trans, $900.00 is a good asking price? I know these trans are rare to find but do not know where to find them or parts for them. I do not want to sink more than $2000.00 into the vehicle just to get it on the road. It needs tires as well. So I have to factor that into the cost.
The problem I have with verifying the trans concern is that the car is not in my possession and I do not have free access to it. Its in a garage.

This is a plan for the worst and hope for the best.

There is still time today, start calling yards to find a used transmission and get the $$$.

Search the classifieds here and tccoa to see if one might be up for sale.

If you are lucky it could be linkage or something small but you need to figure out how big a hole it could turn out to be.

IF ,,, IF you buy this '95 than pull the trans and take it to someone who rebuilds them or even a local vo-tech and see if it can be rebuilt. You might be able to tackle it yourself. It might just need some small stuff or it could be a cracked case and the whole thing is toast. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Post questions and see what help you can get. Remember to "start" the thread that way people are responding to your question. I hate people who start a thread with "having a problem" or some crap like that. The more info and clearer the description in your title the better the responses you'll get.

As for should you ... I LOVE my 95. I have a 454cid RX-7, a turbo 850 Volvo (modified) and some others but I love the 95. It's big without being Towncar big, roomy, handles well, stereo sounds great and it just feels right when I'm in it. It's a personal thing but I really like the way the car fits me.

Back