traction seen at 2011 shootout

bumpskier45

I watched some video of the 2011 shoot outs,one thing I noticed is that just about everyone takes off like a bat out of hell,"Neibert" having a nice launch,however on my car I just changed the tires to the proper speedrating and even got them a little wider than stock,and yet 1st and 2nd gear can't keep them from spinning,not so much in 2nd but for sure first,am I giving her to much rpm's and letting the clutch out to fast? or do you guys run on a track tire or something?

I watched some video of the 2011 shoot outs,one thing I noticed is that just about everyone takes off like a bat out of hell,"Neibert" having a nice launch,however on my car I just changed the tires to the proper speedrating and even got them a little wider than stock,and yet 1st and 2nd gear can't keep them from spinning,not so much in 2nd but for sure first,am I giving her to much rpm's and letting the clutch out to fast? or do you guys run on a track tire or something?

Yes...all the faster cars are using a drag radial, DOT slick or full slick. Street tires are okay for a car with enough power to run high 13s, but anything quicker usually needs a drag tire.

David

I'm running a set of 23 year old original Eagle VR60s right now and my car will spin them no problem haha. Next week when I toss the NASCAR Goodyears I have on it I know they will still spin through 1st and 2nd. I don't want to buy a drag radial, but does anyone have a suggestion on a good daily driver tire that hooks up well at the track?

I had to attach a pic of the original tires on my car mounted on the 35th anniversary wheels... they have enough tread to pass inspection and have very little dry rot. I have seen 2 year old tires with more dry rot.

Attachments

• 0310131807.jpg
    0310131807.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I'm running a set of 23 year old original Eagle VR60s right now and my car will spin them no problem haha. Next week when I toss the NASCAR Goodyears I have on it I know they will still spin through 1st and 2nd. I don't want to buy a drag radial, but does anyone have a suggestion on a good daily driver tire that hooks up well at the track?

I had to attach a pic of the original tires on my car mounted on the 35th anniversary wheels... they have enough tread to pass inspection and have very little dry rot. I have seen 2 year old tires with more dry rot.

If you want something that hooks up real good. Drag Radials are the best.

I just threw a set of 255/50R16 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp II's on my car all around, and oh man, does the car hook. It corners and has straight line bite. They're a good summer street tire and when properly warmed up I'm sure they'll bite at the track.

Tom

I just threw a set of 255/50R16 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp II's on my car all around, and oh man, does the car hook. It corners and has straight line bite. They're a good summer street tire and when properly warmed up I'm sure they'll bite at the track.

Tom

I love BFGoodrich tires. I have them on all my other cars. My NASCAR Goodyears only have like 1000 miles on them but I never liked the soft compound of them. I may get the G-Forces after these Goodyears get worn down

mickey thompson et street drag radials for the street dot drag slicks for the strip
newcobra2.jpg

Tom
I just put a set on mine of the same tires but different size and I'm very impressed with their performance they handle and hook up beautifully for a DD very reasonable priced at that

I will take a pic of my current tire,I have never been timed I am sure with the mods I have I would expect high 13's but I would not be surprised to see mid to low 14's.by the way when and where is the next shootout,and is any sc allowed there mine isn't cosmetically as nice as the one's I saw in the video.

I will take a pic of my current tire,I have never been timed I am sure with the mods I have I would expect high 13's but I would not be surprised to see mid to low 14's.by the way when and where is the next shootout,and is any sc allowed there mine isn't cosmetically as nice as the one's I saw in the video.

We would love to have you attend the Shootout, and don't worry about how your car looks or how fast it is. There are racing classes for everything from stock to full blown racers. It's a great chance to meet a lot of people and see what others are doing with their cars. Go to the events forum for info on the 2013 Shootout.

David

Last edited:
We would love to have attend the Shootout, and don't worry about how your car looks or how fast it is. There are racing classes for everything from stock to full blown racers. It's a great chance to meet a lot of people and see what others are doing with their cars. Go to the events forum for info on the 2013 Shootout.

David
In addition to this, there have been numerous people attend without their cars for one reason or another and they still have a blast. It is also nice putting a face with a name when you finally get to meet people from the site.

mickey thompson et street drag radials for the street dot drag slicks for the strip
newcobra2.jpg

These are great until you are out with them and it rains. :mad: Double clutching and no 1st gear used required. Although now that I went back to 2.73 1st may be used?.?.

I'm gonna look for 2 spare wheels to mount drag radials on or BFGs... my only concern would be getting caught in the rain with drag radials seeing the nearest drag strip is an hour from my house and I drive the car there

I'm gonna look for 2 spare wheels to mount drag radials on or BFGs... my only concern would be getting caught in the rain with drag radials seeing the nearest drag strip is an hour from my house and I drive the car there

So do like several of us do ...... change wheels and tires at the track. No problems. ;)

gentlemen,oct 5th and 6th is the shootout in clay city kentucky,which is a 3 hour drive from my house,I look forward to meeting alot of you that have saved my ~~~ along the way with my car and show you all what your help has done for my car,she is not pretty yet but thanks to all of you on these forums she is running like a raped ape I appreciate it.

gentlemen,oct 5th and 6th is the shootout in clay city kentucky,which is a 3 hour drive from my house,I look forward to meeting alot of you that have saved my ~~~ along the way with my car and show you all what your help has done for my car,she is not pretty yet but thanks to all of you on these forums she is running like a raped ape I appreciate it.

The party starts Friday night the 4th in the hotel parking lot.

David

Back