Crank pulley...

Rezid

Two days ago my sc threw the crank pulley. Some how two of the four bolts came loose and came off somewhere down the road so the pulley was only being held with two. The pulley broke off the remaining two bolts off into the balancer. I'm going to take off the balancer to extract the bolts. When removing the balancer, is it just removing the center nut and it comes off or do I need a removing tool to pull it off. This sux!

You will need a harmonic balancer puller. If you have a Autozone they will rent you a kit. Or just buy a kit, probably wont be the last time you need to pull it.

It threads into the pulley bolt holes, mine only uses two, so you will need two across from each other to pull the balancer.

Two days ago my sc threw the crank pulley. Some how two of the four bolts came loose and came off somewhere down the road so the pulley was only being held with two. The pulley broke off the remaining two bolts off into the balancer. I'm going to take off the balancer to extract the bolts. When removing the balancer, is it just removing the center nut and it comes off or do I need a removing tool to pull it off. This sux!

Yes you will need a harmonic balancer remover. Any auto parts store will have them. Fortunatley for you you still have two bolt holes to use for the puller tool. Hopefulley the two bolts that are still intact are on oppostite sides. If not using the puller could prove to be difficult.

If your bolts broke off and or backed themselves out then I would say you should take a hard look at your balancer. In fact if it is a stock OEM balancer them I would not re-install that balancer. They are not designed to be reused. I would recommend ponying up the dollars on a BHJ balancer. They are expensive but it will last forever.

Ok, will check autozone. I was thinking on just replacing the balancer of the possibility it could be bad and to avoid extracting the broken bolts. O'reillys sells one for like 130.00, is this a good replacement or should I avoid aftermarket parts. Anyone?

For sure just bite the bullet and get the BHJ. If you get one from a parts house they are probably a Doorman or equivalent and they are JUNK.

Well I guess the sc is gonna sit for a while until I get the BHJ. I really don't want to deal with it twice. I rather pay more.

Well I guess the sc is gonna sit for a while until I get the BHJ. I really don't want to deal with it twice. I rather pay more.

Good call. Instead of putting the crappy stamped steel crank pulley back on the new balancer, suggest installing a set of March aluminum underdrive pulleys. Not only will this correct your crank pulley problem, it will also increase the HP by about 15.

David

Last edited:
Good call. Instead of putting the crappy stamped steel crank pulley back on the new balancer, suggest installing a set of March aluminum underdrive pulleys. Not only will this correct you crank pulley problem, it will also increase the HP by about 15.

David

Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider that.

Back