Check Timing?

The crank sensor reads the vanes (or toothed wheel, depending on the year) on the harmonic damper. The damper only goes on one way because of the keyway. So that is basically fixed.

To check the cam sensor timing, you need to make sure the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke on the #1 cylinder. That is the front one on the passenger side. Then remove the cam sensor cap and look at where the metal vane is. I don't have a picture of the exact orientation handy, but it's probably on this site if you search.

You can use a timing light on this engine. Pull the SPOUT (spark output) plug near the AC compressor. That will fix the timing at 10 degrees BTDC. Check the timing using the white marks on the plastic cover and the notch cut in the crank pulley.

Pull the SPOUT (spark output) plug near the AC compressor. That will fix the timing at 10 degrees BTDC. Check the timing using the white marks on the plastic cover and the notch cut in the crank pulley.
The Spout plug is on the fender near the rear of the AC compressor. If it's the same as my 95 it has 2 pink wires connecting to it.

no the pink wired plug is the octane bar

the spout plug is hanging from the edis module

if your base timing is wrong then you either have a skipped balancer or a misaligned reluctor ring

oh btw the 89 has an external tfi "DIS" module, the spout plug hangs from it near the ac compressor clutch plug

The crank sensor reads the vanes (or toothed wheel, depending on the year) on the harmonic damper. The damper only goes on one way because of the keyway. So that is basically fixed.

To check the cam sensor timing, you need to make sure the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke on the #1 cylinder. That is the front one on the passenger side. Then remove the cam sensor cap and look at where the metal vane is. I don't have a picture of the exact orientation handy, but it's probably on this site if you search.

You can use a timing light on this engine. Pull the SPOUT (spark output) plug near the AC compressor. That will fix the timing at 10 degrees BTDC. Check the timing using the white marks on the plastic cover and the notch cut in the crank pulley.

Engine needs to be at 26 degrees after top dead center on #1 compression stroke to set/check cam sensor vane position.

David

Set Cam sensor? When I installed a new cam sensor "the cap", it said on top "Non-Adjustable". I've been under the impression you can't set the cam sensor on this car.

Set Cam sensor? When I installed a new cam sensor "the cap", it said on top "Non-Adjustable". I've been under the impression you can't set the cam sensor on this car.
I gets set-up correctly at the factory or when you rebuild the motor. Then you leave it alone. You can check the set up. Like already said 26* ATDC. Most manuals will have the procedure under the engine portion. There is also a tool that SCP sells, Syncro positioner. It is helpful. You can likely find it at your local Napa dealer as well.

I stand corrected.

no the pink wired plug is the octane bar

the spout plug is hanging from the edis module

if your base timing is wrong then you either have a skipped balancer or a misaligned reluctor ring

On the 95 it is the pink wired plug. I just looked on the 89 schematic and the wires are yellow lt green. Why Ford changes those minor details I do not know.

Agree with above. If the timing is off or you suspect it is off, remove the harmonic balancer and make sure the key-way has not been hogged out. But check your timing first with a timing light before you take things apart.

Back