Do I need a tune?

90turbo1

Well I just was asking this in the shop today and got about a 50/50 mix.

my car 1992 SC 5 speed.

10 percent pulley on supercharger
255 walbro fuel pump
stock injectors (should have larger i think)
cold air intake
stock MAF
ported exhaust manifolds, mandrel bent exhaust downpipes with cats.

magnaflow xpipe resonator no mufflers.

also block is bored next size larger from a rebuild (cant rember the mm it was at this time)

anyway do I need a tune on this car to get the most out of it, or am I still in the realm of the stock computers tuning?

let me know what i should do and who can do it for me.

Before a tune I would seriously look at getting a better intercooler. 10% on an early model SC is a giant heat pump and is hurting your performance more than your tune is. As it stands, you should have no problem running your car on the stock tune, but a better IC would help optimize your parts better.

Tom

you might want to drop to a 5% SC pulley and add a FMIC or DIC...with the mods you have you aren't going to see much more horsepower than stock if that is what you are looking for

I would say get your hands on a late blower with 10%OD, 75TB, a DIC/FMIC and some 42lb injectors then tune

you would be real happy with that setup I am sure

Well I just was asking this in the shop today and got about a 50/50 mix.

my car 1992 SC 5 speed.

10 percent pulley on supercharger
255 walbro fuel pump
stock injectors (should have larger i think)
cold air intake
stock MAF
ported exhaust manifolds, mandrel bent exhaust downpipes with cats.

magnaflow xpipe resonator no mufflers.

also block is bored next size larger from a rebuild (cant rember the mm it was at this time)

anyway do I need a tune on this car to get the most out of it, or am I still in the realm of the stock computers tuning?

let me know what i should do and who can do it for me.

Getting a proper tune where you live is going to be a really big challenge.

Getting the most out of the car with the mods you have should not be a concern to you right now because getting the most out of it requires a lot more parts than you have at the moment, starting with bigger injectors. I'd just leave the tune stock until you do like was mentioned above, get bigger injectors, etc.

Now having said that, I may be out that way in early summer, so if you have any intention of putting parts on the car to where it will require a tune, keep that in mind.

awesome, thanks for the replies.

I was seriously considering a double intercooler, but need to have the right timing of "play money" and when there are some available at that time. An intercooler fan is also on my list of mods.

I dont really have serious plans right at this time I was going to just drive the car as is for a while but some co workers were saying I need to tune it. well see.

I know its not a 400 hp car or anything like that I just want to get the most out of what I have currently kinda weird thinking but thats how it is right now and was not sure about tuning or not.

XR7 Dave... if you were to come to washington state what would you need available to tune this thing if I pull the trigger on larger injectors and late model blower. along with Double intercooler?

thanks

Back