Transmission scare.. on it's way out or fluke?

Dbarnhill

Since I bought this car it always had sort of a hard shift into reverse. When I got in my car this morning to back out of the driveway to go to work, I noticed when I put it in reverse it was butter smooth. So as I was backing out I thought hmm, that's weird. Put car in OD and started to drive down the road and it just would NOT shift out of first gear. No amount of throttle would make it shift. So, I stopped, manually put the gear shifter into D, started driving and it shifted perfectly fine into 2nd. Stopped again, put shifter into OD, and this time it shifted out perfect like normal. I was afraid the same thing would happen when I got back from work and drove the car home but it seems like it's driving perfectly fine again. Does this sound like something is going out or was that just something weird that hopefully will not happen again?

To Add - When I bought this car a month ago it had been flooded, and water leaked into the transmission from the dipstick tube. It was driven about 60 miles before I could pull it into the garage, loosen the cooler line and flush out all the pepto bismol colored fluid. So now it has brand new fluid and I also added a bottle of Lucas transmission fluid conditioner (The really thick stuff that re-conditions the seals and what not) and have had no problems since until this morning

Last edited:
Water and clutch packs do not mix. I would say make sure your tv cable is adjusted properly and properly connected. My next suggestion would be to change the fluid again. It sounds more like a sticky valve body but if that trans case had water in it previously it can't hurt to flush it again and replace the filter and get some fresh fluid in there.

Back