Brake flush

90whtbrd

Is it a must to use one of the two special tools to flush the pump, or can I just open the rear bleeders and run the pump with clear brake fluid until all runs clear then do the front. Thanks for any and all replies.

Is it a must to use one of the two special tools to flush the pump, or can I just open the rear bleeders and run the pump with clear brake fluid until all runs clear then do the front. Thanks for any and all replies.

For the Teves Mk II, all you need to do is to be sure the ignition is on (so that fluid travels TO the back), and run the fluid through. This is what the 1990 SC will have.

If you have a 94-95 with the Teves Mk IV (with the ABS under the front driver's fender, and vacuum boost instead of all-electric), then yes, you'll actually need the tool to perform a 100% flush. Or to do it multiple times with the "Get'er up to about 30 on a gravel road, slam on the brakes" method of exercising the ABS pump.

May I also suggest that you also use something like this to enable better bleeding? You may not need the ignition switch on to run the pump on the Teves Mk II with it, or you may (I had converted to vacuum boost, non-ABS before I discovered this tool.)

RwP

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 1990, so I will use the pump to flush the pump and rear lines and do the front by hand. Those air bleeders come in handy.I never bought one because up till now all I rode were bikes using DOT 5 ($$$) and they do tend to waste a bit of fluid.

can I just open the rear bleeders and run the pump with clear brake fluid until all runs clear then do the front.
Thats the way I do it. The pump will push a whole lot more fluid out a whole lot faster. ;) You can drain nearly all of the reservoir and lines that way. The fronts are a pain.. 50 presses of the pedal = about 1 tablespoon of fluid :rolleyes:

50 presses plus ( X2 ), might be time to consider an air bleeder. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Last edited:
Back