Belt size

How about we give a little more info about the reason for the question.

We are working in a 89 sc engine with a 95 blower. We pulled the blower out of a car in the junk yard and we are assuming the pulley is stock. We are having two issues since installing the 95 blower. The belt is extremely tight, and is a battle trying to install it onto the blower even with the tensioner removed. The second problem we are having is the blower is getting extremely hot. Even with a FMIC we are seeing air temps into the high 140-150 deg range.

I have a 93 blower with an underdrive pulley. The belt is effortless to remove and install. I also have a FMIC, and usually my air temps are 10-15 deg over ambient temps.

Is what we are experiencing with the 95 blower normal?

Thanks for the help

Douglass

How about we give a little more info about the reason for the question.

We are working in a 89 sc engine with a 95 blower. We pulled the blower out of a car in the junk yard and we are assuming the pulley is stock. We are having two issues since installing the 95 blower. The belt is extremely tight, and is a battle trying to install it onto the blower even with the tensioner removed. The second problem we are having is the blower is getting extremely hot. Even with a FMIC we are seeing air temps into the high 140-150 deg range.

I have a 93 blower with an underdrive pulley. The belt is effortless to remove and install. I also have a FMIC, and usually my air temps are 10-15 deg over ambient temps.

Is what we are experiencing with the 95 blower normal?

Thanks for the help

Douglass

Was this 95 blower serviced? Rebuilt? Is everything moving freely? If there blower is high mileage and worn out, that could attribute to the high head (i.e. bearing ceasing, ect)

Was this 95 blower serviced? Rebuilt? Is everything moving freely? If there blower is high mileage and worn out, that could attribute to the high head (i.e. bearing ceasing, ect)

It moves fine. No noise when I spin it. What had happen was my gen 3 blower had a 10% pulley on it with a 10% belt. Now when we found the gen 4 off the 95 the car had 78,000 miles on the car. I had my buddy go over the blower ( check the oil and all ) and he said it was good. I didn't have another belt for it so we used the 10% belt. I really don't know how he got it on because I had to cut it off. I went to autozone and got what they said was the stock belt for the 95 and it is still way to tight. I can't even get it over the lip of the blower pulley. Is the 95 pulley on the sc that much bigger then the 89-93 sc? And what would happen if we put the pulley of a 89-93 on the 95?
When I would drive the car the blower would get so hot that when you popped open the hood it would almost knock you down with heat. The belt was soo tight that when I got on it it wouldn't flex. I spoke to a few guys and they said that the blower was binding and I most likely cooked the oil in it. That's why it's so hot.

Also would the jackshaft pulley be smaller on a 94-95 then a 89-93? I have the stock 91 js pulley on the car.

As stated the car showed less than 80k on it, and the teflon on the blades looked fine showing no signs of wear or chipping. When spinning the pulley everything moves freely and does not make any noises.

Unless you are using an oversized idler pulley on the blower belt tensioner, or have an OD JS pulley the 393 belt should fit. It's also possible that someone may have redrilled the tensioner mounting holes (clocked) for making the belt fit tighter.

Reason for excessive heat could be the bypass valve being stuck in the closed position. Check the linkage to make sure it isn't stuck on the back of the blower. If vacuum hose is off the actuator it will remain closed.

David

Unless you are using an oversized idler pulley on the blower belt tensioner, or have an OD JS pulley the 393 belt should fit. It's also possible that someone may have redrilled the tensioner mounting holes (clocked) for making the belt fit tighter.

Reason for excessive heat could be the bypass valve being stuck in the closed position. Check the linkage to make sure it isn't stuck on the back of the blower. If vacuum hose is off the actuator it will remain closed.

David

The bypass works fine. When I rev the car you can see it move. Even without the tensioner pulley on the car the 392 belt won't fit over the pulley. Should I get the 393 belt? How much larger is the 94-95 pulley then 89-93?

The bypass works fine. When I rev the car you can see it move. Even without the tensioner pulley on the car the 392 belt won't fit over the pulley. Should I get the 393 belt? How much larger is the 94-95 pulley then 89-93?

The 94-95 pulley is actually about 3% larger than the 89-93 pulley. If you can't find any reason for the belt not fitting, then yes try the next size longer.

David

Edited to fix error

Last edited:
You can put the early model pulley to OD the blower about 3 percent. Or use a 5 or 10 percent od pulley.

Last edited:
You can put the early model pulley to OD the blower about 3 percent. Of use a 5 or 10 percent od pulley.

I just want the belt to be easy to put on and off without it binding the blower. I think the stock 89-93 might do the trick. I hope.

Back