Finding the Timing Cover Marks

Facesnatcher

I've never checked timing before on a car, but I'am trying to figure out how to check it on a 89 Thunderbird SC. I know you have to have the engine at TDC, which i'am working on that. I have the valve cover pulled off so I can see cyl #1. Was told to use a pull bar to turn the engine over and watch the two springs until they are relaxed. They should relax twice and 1 of the 2 times will be TDC and to check the marking on the balancer in relation to the timing cover mark. I can see the obvious engraved mark on the balancer but I do not know what mark I'am looking for on the Cover. I'am assuming the pointer sticking out by the crankshaft sensor is suppose to line up with the balancer mark when its at TDC. I can't find a photo online of Thunderbird SC's Timing marks or a picture of them on a car that is in time. Thank you for any feedback I can get, keep in mind I'am not a mechanic so you have to break things down for me to understand, I'am learning as I go.

And if the plastic cover is removed you use the pointer on the timing cover and the marks on the balancer.

You can't really check the timing the way you are describing, unless you are just trying to verify that both valves are closed on the compression stroke when at TDC #1. Both valves are closed for most of the compression stroke, so checking the balancer position when both close isn't really going to tell you much.

If you are experiencing an ignition timing problem, it's usually caused by a worn out or broken balancer, not the timing chain and gears.

What is it, you are trying to determine ?

David

I've done compression checks on the cylinders and #1 has compression and 2,3 do not have much at all. Same thing has happen on the other head too, 1 cylinder has compression and the other 2 do not. The engine was just put back together and was done by the book. New everything, so I know it's not 2 head gaskets or piston rings or valves at this point. I was told the only thing left really was the timing could of jumped. So that's why i'am checking. Just so you know the exact compression was #1- 120psi #2- 58psi #3- 35psi #5 58psi #6- 120psi. I have not gotten a reading on #4 because of it's position on the engine, can't get a compression gauge on it.

I've done compression checks on the cylinders and #1 has compression and 2,3 do not have much at all. Same thing has happen on the other head too, 1 cylinder has compression and the other 2 do not. The engine was just put back together and was done by the book. New everything, so I know it's not 2 head gaskets or piston rings or valves at this point. I was told the only thing left really was the timing could of jumped. So that's why i'am checking. Just so you know the exact compression was #1- 120psi #2- 58psi #3- 35psi #5 58psi #6- 120psi. I have not gotten a reading on #4 because of it's position on the engine, can't get a compression gauge on it.

Are you using stock or aftermarket rockers, cam, push rods ?

David

The way to find TDC is to get # 1 on the compression stroke. Pull # 1 spark plug. Pull the coil primary wires. Put your finger in the hole. Now have someone crank the motor by hand or tap your remote starter switch until you feel pressure push passed your finger. you'll hear it too. Then keep turning the engine in the direction of travel until the pointer and 0 degrees line up. You can place it where you need from there. To check the cam timing again, you'll need to pull the timing cover and match up the crank and Cam gear timing marks.
Did you put the motor together? Timing chains don't jump unless something is together wrong. i suspect there to be some damage. It was likely put together wrong.
I have been working on cars for 30+ years and in all that time I have only seen timing jump once. And that was the distributor on the cam. I would put money on head gaskets installed incorrectly. There is probably no short cut to pulling the motor and tearing it down until you find the problem.

IIRC, when the crank is at TDC, the balancer groove lines either straight up or with the pointer on the T chain cover. Its one or the other, shouldn't be hard to determine which. I figured this out when my balancer outer ring, the part with the markings, got twisted and I had to twist it back to the right spot. I "fixed" the ring with Black silicon RTV FWIW :D. Still holding up just fine. This was a result of changing the TChain cover gasket due to oil leaks.

Back