Started building a raised top.. Why not?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
IMG_20130331_120826_326_zps95b221d6.jpg

Rough milled out the old flange and restriction!

IMG_20130331_120834_967_zpsfb29ec4a.jpg

traced around it and band sawed out a new flange out of 3/4" alluminum plate

IMG_20130331_131540_003_zps5b8acfb2.jpg

Machined it out with the old bridgeport..

IMG_20130331_140229_346_zpseb1b7a62.jpg

Yes i know i need to add a piece for the flange to seal had a engineering boo boo lol already fixed it lol

IMG_20130331_140236_140_zpsc290f8dc.jpg

IMG_20130331_140241_324_zpsf0e7202f.jpg

Pinch point is much less of a pinch point! And it was VERY i repeat VERY easy to weld up since everything was thick that i was welding on. Also going back with a bur and opening it up a little bit more!. Got all the welding done then it was time to go home. This week im going to mill the inside out a little bit to blend everything together and fly cut the mounting surface so its true (incase of warpage) Also I put a deep V all the way around before i welded it so I'm going to mill the outside edges so you can't tell its been welded. Then I will be sending it off to Randy for Powdercoat!

Last edited:
Nice work. Wade embree made me a raised top back in 2002. I believe he did it the same way, or at least it looked like he did it the same way.

how much to make me one lol ? i like the way yours looks and i cant see spending 300 from MP
or just making me the spacer and ill do the welding and mill work myself

how much to make me one lol ? i like the way yours looks and i cant see spending 300 from MP
or just making me the spacer and ill do the welding and mill work myself

I will let you know once i get done with this one and get a good blueprint on the new flange. With a core I don't see why I couldnt make these for less than MP! Just guessing i'd say in the 150/200$ shipped range depending on cosmetics etc.

Do you want it Powder Coated?

Do you care if you see a weld bead around the flange?

Can you pre-sandblast youre core?

no powdercoat, i have all my own coating stuff , i can blast it weld bead is no biggie as i can clean that up no problem at all
i dont even need it welded up all id need is the spacer portion i can handle the rest myself
if it was just the square spacer i can cut and weld the neck portion up and use a piece of aluminum tubing to mate the spacer to the neck area

Last edited:
There is a 4bbl carb insert that is the perfect size for our hats that already has the 4 holes in it. It might be in the old threads somewhere. That is what I used to make mine many moons ago. Wow, about 10 years ago.

It is fun and reminds me of what Hot Rodding is and should be. Fab up your own parts and get them to work.

Won,t u have 2 put a bar across the front

ON THE OUTLET 2 SEAL IT... :confused: I DID IT YEARS A AGO WITH 4 ...3/4 BARS & ADDED A SMALL PIECE ON THE NECK OUTLET:) LOOK UP FAST FREDDIE TOPS:D

I will let you know once i get done with this one and get a good blueprint on the new flange. With a core I don't see why I couldnt make these for less than MP! Just guessing i'd say in the 150/200$ shipped range depending on cosmetics etc.

Do you want it Powder Coated?

Do you care if you see a weld bead around the flange?

Can you pre-sandblast youre core?

Wade at EMS made these a long time ago and welded them just like you are but machined the outside edge with a mill or something to make it appear as one piece (just a thought)

That's the plan mill the outside when its done. Finished welding it today and yes I had to weld a strip in for the sealing surface I had a brain fart! Going to mill the inside too so its all nice and smooth!

Back