90 SC 5 speed-stock rear end gears question

SuperCoupe

I believe my 1990 SC 5 speed has 3.08:1 gears from the factory. Is this correct?

A friend gave me his old 92 SC AOD gears which are 3.27:1 (he went to 3.73:1) He said the 3.27:1 would make my SC quicker around town, but that I'd probably lose a little top end speed. Would that mean I'd be turning more RPM's an making the motor work harder? Is it really worth putting them in?

Thanks,
Jeff

I believe my 1990 SC 5 speed has 3.08:1 gears from the factory. Is this correct?

A friend gave me his old 92 SC AOD gears which are 3.27:1 (he went to 3.73:1) He said the 3.27:1 would make my SC quicker around town, but that I'd probably lose a little top end speed. Would that mean I'd be turning more RPM's an making the motor work harder? Is it really worth putting them in?

Thanks,
Jeff

That's a slight jump in gears, but it will be noticeable. You will have better acceleration but with less top speed because you will be spinning the motor faster. It's up to you but you will be 4-8 mph slower at the MOST in direct drive gear (i think 4th?) with a gear change like that. It won't be a huge difference driving down the highway just a few hundred rpm.

Thanks,
Jeff

I think I may be reading this wrong but 3.27's will give you more top end and less acceleration where the 3.73's will give you more acceleration and less top speed as well as worse gas mileage.

Thanks,
Jeff

Your car has 2.73:1 gears from the factory. Most guys on here run 3.08's in the 5 speed cars with great success. 3.27's are going to make your first gear real short.

Yes. The taller you go the less top end but the quicker the acceleration.

I'm still running my 2:73, no complaints about it. I plan to get a 3:27 for track use only. Maybe taller if I'm not happy with the 3:27

I'm still running my 2:73, no complaints about it. I plan to get a 3:27 for track use only. Maybe taller if I'm not happy with the 3:27

Most of the 5 speed guys here that are real fast use 3.08's. 3.27's make first gear almost useless as I understand it.

Your car has 2.73:1 gears from the factory. Most guys on here run 3.08's in the 5 speed cars with great success. 3.27's are going to make your first gear real short.

Yes. The taller you go the less top end but the quicker the acceleration.

Thanks....that was the info I was looking for. Maybe I'll sell the 3.27's. what are they worth...any idea? They are in excellent shape

Thanks....that was the info I was looking for. Maybe I'll sell the 3.27's. what are they worth...any idea? They are in excellent shape

I have never purchased or installed used ring and pinion gears. I have no idea what they would be worth.

Too bad you're in RI - I have a 3.08 and a 2.73 TL diff (the 3.08 is in the car!), both need to be rebuilt due to mileage (and a blown pinion seal on the 3.8), but both run. I'd be glad to swap the 3.08 for a set of 3.27s for the AOD-equipped 5.0HO I drive *grins*

RwP

I liked the 273's.

I've got 327's in right now.

As a daily driver have no issues. In traffic I can just jockey the clutch to stay up.

When I snapped a bolt in the shifter I drove 30 miles in 5th. Clutch was a little clammy but I don't think I could have nursed it off 5 lights with 273's. (2 uphill)

I'm a fan so far.

Paul

I liked the 273's.

I've got 327's in right now.

As a daily driver have no issues. In traffic I can just jockey the clutch to stay up.

When I snapped a bolt in the shifter I drove 30 miles in 5th. Clutch was a little clammy but I don't think I could have nursed it off 5 lights with 273's. (2 uphill)

I'm a fan so far.

Paul

holy crap Paul!!
I'll be installing a new B&M Ripper, new clutch, synchros, and go through the tranny, so hopefully I won't ever have to prove you wrong....or right!

Yeah Ralph, I'd be happy to swap with you, but I'm not sure it's worth the shipping costs for us. You could probably find some local

Back