PDA

View Full Version : New carbon fiber blockers for the M5R2 coming soon!

Mike Puckett
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Being an old school guy I like shifting gears and racing the 5spd. Speed shifting is hard on blockers and I was wearing out 2nd and 3rd gear blockers about every 12-24 mos. Faced with a dwindling supply I'd wondered what to do in the future. Well, the future is here and I just used my last new OEM blockers in my spare tranny.

The company I work for attends an industrial trade show every 3 years here in Atlanta with trade shows in the alternate years in Germany and Japan. These are attended by people from all over the world from our industry. Last May during the show I talked with a manufacturers rep who was looking for companies that needed to have machine parts made. Since all of our production is either in Germany or Singapore we didn't have anything for him but I brought up the need for the blockers. As it turns out he reps for a transmission manufacturer. I supplied him with samples of the blockers, synchronizer assemblies and gears from one of my spares.
In the meantime I started researching blockers and found a wealth of information. Basically there are 4 different materials used for linings; cintered iron, carbon fiber, paper, and molybdenum. The moly coatings are fairly new but widely used and my rep was touting them as the way to go. My research showed that carbon fiber would be better for 1st-4th while the moly was ideal for 5th and reverse so that is the direction I decided to go. The moly is plasma coated onto the brass substrate while the CF is epoxied.

I received the pre-production pieces in Dec and started doing some testing on them. When I inspected the first piece I was a bit disappointed as it looked like it was just some CF glued to the metal. Attacking the CF lining with a file though, proved that wasn't the case. What would easily scuff the OEM lining wouldn't even faze the CF. I then tried to cut a groove into it and had to really bear down to cut thru it. Then, trying to chip off pieces of the CF proved fruitless. It just wouldn't chip or scrape off. I also noticed that there were no drain grooves in the CF for the fluid but the weave of the CF which was cut on the bias, was both visible and I could feel it. It was explained that by using this method the fluid was allowed to drain out thru the valleys of the weave and grooves were not necessary. The fit with both the synchro assembly and the gear was absolutely perfect. The machining is all done on a CAD-CAM machine and they had matched the samples perfectly. We did have to have the 5th gear blocker redone as I originally thought it was the same as reverse but it has a slightly bigger inside diameter. I'm very impressed with the quality of these pieces.

I am now running this pre-production set in my SC and having excellent results. I figured that the best way to test them and be able to stand behind my product was to go ahead and use them as intended. So far, other than the first couple of times I put it in reverse, I haven't crunched a gear either thru normal shifting or speed shifting. My 12.250 pass last Saturday was with using these new blockers.

I am doing this on my own and am investing several thousand dollars of my own money to have a full production run produced. All sales will initially be run exclusively thru the SCCoA website. Although there will be a limited number I should have plenty for everybody and no pre-orders or deposits will be necessary. A second production run is tentatively planned if needed. As for pricing I'll have several options. A complete set of 6 will be priced at $250; a set of 4 1st-4th only $200, or $50 each for a single blocker. I'll also offer a discount for multiple sets purchased at the same time. I'll accept money orders, Paypal, and personal checks with shipping after the check has cleared my bank. They are in the production que at this time and delivery is scheduled for mid-June.

davec73
04-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Being an old school guy I like shifting gears and racing the 5spd. Speed shifting is hard on blockers and I was wearing out 2nd and 3rd gear blockers about every 12-24 mos. Faced with a dwindling supply I'd wondered what to do in the future. Well, the future is here and I just used my last new OEM blockers in my spare tranny.

The company I work for attends an industrial trade show every 3 years here in Atlanta with trade shows in the alternate years in Germany and Japan. These are attended by people from all over the world from our industry. Last May during the show I talked with a manufacturers rep who was looking for companies that needed to have machine parts made. Since all of our production is either in Germany or Singapore we didn't have anything for him but I brought up the need for the blockers. As it turns out he reps for a transmission manufacturer. I supplied him with samples of the blockers, synchronizer assemblies and gears from one of my spares.
In the meantime I started researching blockers and found a wealth of information. Basically there are 4 different materials used for linings; cintered iron, carbon fiber, paper, and molybdenum. The moly coatings are fairly new but widely used and my rep was touting them as the way to go. My research showed that carbon fiber would be better for 1st-4th while the moly was ideal for 5th and reverse so that is the direction I decided to go. The moly is plasma coated onto the brass substrate while the CF is epoxied.

I received the pre-production pieces in Dec and started doing some testing on them. When I inspected the first piece I was a bit disappointed as it looked like it was just some CF glued to the metal. Attacking the CF lining with a file though, proved that wasn't the case. What would easily scuff the OEM lining wouldn't even faze the CF. I then tried to cut a groove into it and had to really bear down to cut thru it. Then, trying to chip off pieces of the CF proved fruitless. It just wouldn't chip or scrape off. I also noticed that there were no drain grooves in the CF for the fluid but the weave of the CF which was cut on the bias, was both visible and I could feel it. It was explained that by using this method the fluid was allowed to drain out thru the valleys of the weave and grooves were not necessary. The fit with both the synchro assembly and the gear was absolutely perfect. The machining is all done on a CAD-CAM machine and they had matched the samples perfectly. We did have to have the 5th gear blocker redone as I originally thought it was the same as reverse but it has a slightly bigger inside diameter. I'm very impressed with the quality of these pieces.

I am now running this pre-production set in my SC and having excellent results. I figured that the best way to test them and be able to stand behind my product was to go ahead and use them as intended. So far, other than the first couple of times I put it in reverse, I haven't crunched a gear either thru normal shifting or speed shifting. My 12.250 pass last Saturday was with using these new blockers.

I am doing this on my own and am investing several thousand dollars of my own money to have a full production run produced. All sales will initially be run exclusively thru the SCCoA website. Although there will be a limited number I should have plenty for everybody and no pre-orders or deposits will be necessary. A second production run is tentatively planned if needed. As for pricing I'll have several options. A complete set of 6 will be priced at $250; a set of 4 1st-4th only $200, or $50 each for a single blocker. I'll also offer a discount for multiple sets purchased at the same time. I'll accept money orders, Paypal, and personal checks with shipping after the check has cleared my bank. They are in the production que at this time and delivery is scheduled for mid-June.

I need two complete sets mike, I just put the blockers in my late model and it still grinds in 3rd a bit but I was short one of the 1-4 blockers so I had to use the 4th gear in the 3rd position I believe.

shoalcracker
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike

I'm in for a full set.

Let me know when your close and I'll PPal cash over.

Paul

BLOWN38
04-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Sounds awesome! I will pick up at least one set maybe 2.:cool:

Kurt K
04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
I'd be down for a set.

jabaldaz
04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm in for a full set, possibly 2.

Plat0ribs
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
In for 1 set.

nmcbchief
04-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I am in for a set also.

SuperCoupe
04-06-2013, 06:02 PM
definitely down for at least one full set, probably two

Thank you for all your hard work in making this possible Mike!!

nanatothesixth
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Im in for 1 maybe 2 sets. and hats off to you!

90sc35thann
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I run an auto but I think it is great that this is being done! How cool are all of you!!!! I love this site.

TbirdSCFan
04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Mike... you rule.. We are not wortheee.. we are not wortheee.. we are not wortheee. :D :D

90MN12
04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Great job Mike. I'm tempted to buy a set. Have an auto but never know if ill do a 5 speed swap or buy a 5 speed someday.

MadMikeyL
04-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm in for at least one set of the 1-4, possibly more. That's awesome not only that you got them made, but at a reasonable price too! The 24 hours of lemons car really eats up these synchros, and we usually only get about 2-3 races out of a trans, so it would be nice to not have to worry about it for a while, and then I may pick up a couple more sets for my street cars.

04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
i am in for a set maybe two.

TbirdSCFan
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Of course you guys know you don't always have to speed shift. :rolleyes:

SuperCoupe
04-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Of course you guys know you don't always have to speed shift. :rolleyes:

Excuse me?!? I thought that pedal on the left was just for starting off?
:eek:

Mike Puckett
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all your support everyone. I very much want this to be a successful project.

XxSlowpokexX
04-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Mike count me in as well for a full set

Ira R.
04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I should probably pick up a set as well. Never hurst to have an extra set in the toolbox.

I just noticed I mispelled *hurts*. Hmmm, is that karma or what?

Ira

Black90SC
04-09-2013, 12:46 AM
I'd definitely like a set.

Chris Ashford
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Please put me down for a set. Was just about to have tranny redone with regular blockers, now I'll wait.
And thanks for the effort.
PM me anytime to get the funds sent.

Jim Cook
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
I am in for a full set as well

Jimmy 2Coupes
04-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Mike, I'm definitely down for at least one full set, maybe two.

DLibbs92sc
04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
I would take the 1-4 sets. Emailing me would be best way to get a hold of me. Im a busy person thats not on here a lot. dlibbs08@yahoo.com thanks a lot!

sccrewzer
04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
ill take a 1-4 set thanks

90coug
04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Iím in for a full set. Thanks Mike. Investing your own money is truly appreciated.

sleeper bird
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
i have been very fortunate to not have any issues out of my 95 but im sure my luck will run out at any time.i would also be in for a complete set.That is a cool thing to do to help us all keep our cars on the road .

Dev
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
I would be interested in 2 sets. Thanks for doing this

Dev

BirdofPrey97
04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
One set right now. Maybe 2 if I pick up this 94.

BECERRASC
04-16-2013, 10:14 PM
i am down for 1 or maybe 3

BECERRASC
04-16-2013, 10:18 PM
i am down for 1 set as of right now but maybe 3 of them..;)

StilwellSC
04-18-2013, 10:26 PM
I am in for two sets.

NASSER13
04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Put me down for 2 complete sets

Ddubb
04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Mid-June you say ..

I may be in for at least 1 or 2 sets, definately interested in this. Id like to see them available again.

- Dan

S4gunn
04-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Dan just told me about this thread.
I'm in for a set of 1-4 blockers. I also have a problem with wearing out blocking rings in my M5R2 during lemon racing.

Thanks,
-g

91BlownBirdie
04-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Cool! That's going to be awesome.

XB-70
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Another set of blockers for me too in May

glenn

kpatton
04-27-2013, 09:56 AM
put me down for a set.
Keith

SCTBIRD1173
05-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Mike, I just was made aware of this thread through a post on the FB page. I'll defiantly take 1 full set to start and would be interested in at least 1 more in the future.

Thank you so much for making this happen! :)

black90stockSC
05-31-2013, 03:43 PM
How soon can i get a set? My trans is ready to be rebuilt now, also any one in my area good at doing the rke let me know im in Westland, MI

mywhite89
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Mike, I remember talking to you about these at the shootout last year. I'll be in for a full set. Sounds like you have at least 4k worth of interest so far to help you out with money you have invested. Thanks for going through with this.

I'm about to tear one of my broken trannys apart This weekend hoping to salvage a set of synchros from it that I had installed several years ago. I just need a new 5th gear synchro now.
Chris

SmokinTbirdSC
05-31-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm in for a full set.

jco1385
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Also in for at least one set. Let me know when/where to send payment.

AJMgearhead
06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I'll take a full set. Let me know about paying with paypal. Thanks!

tchicken
06-10-2013, 01:03 AM
I have a transmission that could definitely use a set of these. I'm in for one set. Thanks for your work in getting these made!

Horn

SCDan35thANV
06-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I will also be in for a set when these are made let me know. Thanks.

Michael Mattix
06-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Mine haven't gone out yet, but with 130k miles, I assume it's only a matter of time! I'm in for a full set! Thank you soooooooooo much for doing this on your own!!!!

snakesm13
06-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Add me to the list for a full set.
I've never opened the transmission but am mechanically inclined and open to learning, is this something that can be done in a home garage?

Mike Puckett
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
These trannys are not hard to rebuild. It's a 6 to 8 hr job. You will need a bench press or access to a machine shop. There have been several how to articles written about it. There is one on the TCCoA site and I wrote one for Charging Thunder magazine.

S4gunn
06-17-2013, 10:44 PM
These trannys are not hard to rebuild. It's a 6 to 8 hr job. You will need a bench press or access to a machine shop. There have been several how to articles written about it. There is one on the TCCoA site and I wrote one for Charging Thunder magazine.

Mike:
Any updates on the status of the first production run? Please let us know when you will start accepting payments and we can start sending you money. Thanks again for doing this.

Regards,
-g

Mike Puckett
06-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Check my other thread for details. They are here.