Brake help ABS and red light on

joewit

Hi,
I need help with my brakes, I have the problem of no power brake or abs. My abs and red brake light are one and the brake pedal is hard as a rock with hardly any braking abilities. I checked and my brake pump does turn on and I replaced the ABS relay just in case the problem was that simple. I have a 89 SC, this problem started as intermittent and now is all the time. Please help I am open to fixing it the way it was or modifying the system.

UPDATE: Still no results, I replaced the abs relay and then the accumulator ball. Brakes are still hard pedal 95% of the time (at times the brake will work well for a very short time). My abs pump does run if you turn the ignition on, it stays running until I actually start the car and then I can't hear it for sure. It sounds a little funny/weak when running I think but am not sure how it is supposed to sound. Anything else I can do??? Im about to just send my whole unit out for rebuild if I can't figure this out. Help please!

Last edited:
The strage thing about this system is if you have a brake line that has blown,
It will cause your pedal to go rock hard. The opposite of the norm

When you first noticed the braking problem, did the red and amber lights flicker when you applied the brakes.....

If so, then your accumulator is bad and needs to be replaced....

Still no results, I replaced the abs relay and then the accumulator ball. Brakes are still hard pedal 95% of the time (at times the brake will work well for a very short time). My abs pump does run if you turn the ignition on, it stays running until I actually start the car and then I can't hear it for sure. It sounds a little funny/weak when running I think but am not sure how it is supposed to sound. Anything else I can do??? Im about to just send my whole unit out for rebuild if I can't figure this out. Help please!

According to what you have reported, I would suspect that the pump motor bearings are going bad.....

Turn the key on but do not start the engine.....

Does the pump motor ever shut off.....

If is does, how long does it run before shutting off....

According to what you have reported, I would suspect that the pump motor bearings are going bad.....

Turn the key on but do not start the engine.....

Does the pump motor ever shut off.....

If is does, how long does it run before shutting off....

Just went to check, the other day it just wasn't turning off, It went until I turned the car off cause my battery was getting low. But now it won't turn or at all so I'm lost again.

Just went to check, the other day it just wasn't turning off, It went until I turned the car off cause my battery was getting low. But now it won't turn or at all so I'm lost again.

Was this before or after you replaced the relay?

Was it running while the car was turned off? Or only after you turned the key on?

Was this before or after you replaced the relay?

Was it running while the car was turned off? Or only after you turned the key on?

After replacing the relay but did the same inconsistency with the old relay, my old one wasn't bad so I saved it. It did not run with the car turned off and now doesn't run at all. Anyways decided to do everything to the car I have sitting around so it's apart now for ful exhaust, injectors, pulley, TB and what not. So I'll be getting back to the brakes as the car goes back together.

I don't have my book with me, but I think you can check for continuity.....

The part is available from Chevy and/or Saab....

Back