BHJ Balancer

Rezid

I just received my BHJ balancer and don't have the funds to buy a new set of under drive pulleys so I'm going to use my factory pulley for the time being. It says here that I need to get my pulley zero balanced. Is this really necessary? It's not just bolt the pulley to the balancer and install? I really need to get my SC on the road again. Also says that damper must be clear coated or painted....?

get it balnced

don't event think about doing it without haved balanced....

i did it and it cost me the crankshaft on my 92 so do it once and do it right

learn from me.... i learn the hard way.. :mad: and expensive too

don't event think about doing it without haved balanced....

i did it and it cost me the crankshaft on my 92 so do it once and do it right

learn from me.... i learn the hard way.. :mad: and expensive too

That's terrible, I can't have that. I will try and find someplace and have it balanced. Thanks for the input!

You can also install a set of underdrive pulleys (comes with zero balanced crank pulley)and will gain a little more power at the same time.

David

You can also install a set of underdrive pulleys (comes with zero balanced crank pulley)and will gain a little more power at the same time.

David

I would like to David but I'm short on cash and really need to get it running. Unless someone here has a crank pulley for a good deal, other than that im
going to stick with the stock one until I can get a set of pulleys.

After checking bore clearance an honing as needed, I used my BHJ with my stock pulley. Bolted it on and went on my way.. That was 5-6 years ago I think :confused:

IIRC, there was a blob of what appeared to be balance metal on the pulley somewhere. This would lead me to believe the pulley itself is pretty close to balanced so I probably got away with something. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and do it, but then I tend to do that with a number of things on the SC. When I take a path that didn't work, I'll be the first to admit it.

Last edited:
After checking bore clearance an honing as needed, I used my BHJ with my stock pulley. Bolted it on and went on my way.. That was 5-6 years ago I think :confused:

So your saying you bolted it up without any balancing with no problem?

I did same, just make sure u line up the

4 HOLES RIGHT :) AS IT CAN ONLY FIT RIGHT IN 1 POSITION:eek: SOME HAVE BORED OUT THE HOLES 2 MOUNT ANY OLD WAY !!!:eek:

I have run a BHJ balancer with no issues at all with a stock pulley. I can say though I did orient the pulley so that the notch that is present in the factory pulley was aligned witht the 26 degree hash mark on the BHJ balancer. There is a notch in the factory pulley in between the 1st and second belts. When aligning this I noticed that the notch is dead on to the 26 degree hash on the balancer itself. It just felt natural to orient the pulley in this manner.

Crank pulley should only bolt on in one position. One of the four holes is purposely out of alignment with the other three to insure the crank pulley is positioned correctly.

David

This is good to know when I go to put everything back together.

BHJ balancers are also know for the crank pulley retaining bolt holes not being drilled and tapped as deep as the stock balancer. Easy to check before the pulley is installed, not so easy when trying to tighten the bolts with the crank pulley flopping around.

David

BHJ balancers are also know for the crank pulley retaining bolt holes not being drilled and tapped as deep as the stock balancer. Easy to check before the pulley is installed, not so easy when trying to tighten the bolts with the crank pulley flopping around.

David

I just noticed that as I went to measure the bolts, as I need all new ones because two came loose and fell out somewhere along the road causing the remaining two to break off in the old balancer. Just came back as a matter of fact from buying new ones. The BHJ balancer requires much shorter ones.

David

Agreed. I use a 20mm long 8mm bolt.

I've always just bolted it on and went about my way

The pulley does have one hole offset, I found that out the hard way when I made one that didn't bolt on

Do not forget to coat the balancer as soon as you get it, they rust FAST

hey folks

listen to me

I INSTALLED A BHJ ON MY 92 SC WITH STOCK PULLEY.... NO WOBBOLING NO RARE SIGNS OF NOTHING I DID THIS BACK IN 09... WITHIN THE NEXT MONTHS I NOTECE A REALLY SMALL VIBRATION AROUND `1500 RPM THAT I COULDN'T FIND THE SOURCE OFF... SO THIS CAR WAS MY DAILY DRIVER
THEN THE VIBRATION GOT STRONGER ... THATS WHEN I START LOOKING FOR IT WITH NO LUCK.... THEN ONE DAY I HEAR A KNOCKING ARRIVING TO WORK... I TOUGH IT WAS A BEARING CAUSE OF THE SOUND.... LOUD AND MY CAR HAD 170,00 ON THE CLOCK.... SO AFTER WORK I WENT AND TURN OR THE CAR AND THE KNOCKING WAS GONE..! LET IT IDLE FOR A COUPLE MINS 20-30 AND NO SINGS OF KNOCKING IN THE ENGINE BAY... AT THIS TIME I WAS REALLY CONFUSED... DROVE IT HOME ONCE I GOT THERE THE KNOCKING WAS THERE AND LOUD... SO I STARTED TO ELIMINATE BELTS TO FIND THE SOURCE ..... TO MY SURPRISE THE PULLEY AND BALANCER WERE LOOSE THAT I COULD MOVE THEM WITH MY HEAND UPWARDS SIDEWAYS WITH THE CENTER BOLT IN THE CRANK SHAFT STILL IN THERE.... THE RESULTS WAS THE CRACK SHAFT SNOUT GOT WORN REALLY BAD... UP TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL THE BHJ WITHOUT HAVING THE PULLEY BALANCED THIS IS MY STORY .... AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN FAST THE BALANCER WAS INSTALLED IN 09 AND LASTED TILL MARCH 11 SO TI WON'T BE RIGHT AWAY

Last edited:
listen to me

I INSTALLED A BHJ ON MY 92 SC WITH STOCK PULLEY.... NO WOBBOLING NO RARE SIGNS OF NOTHING I DID THIS BACK IN 09... WITHIN THE NEXT MONTHS I NOTECE A REALLY SMALL VIBRATION AROUND `1500 RPM THAT I COULDN'T FIND THE SOURCE OFF... SO THIS CAR WAS MY DAILY DRIVER
THEN THE VIBRATION GOT STRONGER ... THATS WHEN I START LOOKING FOR IT WITH NO LUCK.... THEN ONE DAY I HEAR A KNOCKING ARRIVING TO WORK... I TOUGH IT WAS A BEARING CAUSE OF THE SOUND.... LOUD AND MY CAR HAD 170,00 ON THE CLOCK.... SO AFTER WORK I WENT AND TURN OR THE CAR AND THE KNOCKING WAS GONE..! LET IT IDLE FOR A COUPLE MINS 20-30 AND NO SINGS OF KNOCKING IN THE ENGINE BAY... AT THIS TIME I WAS REALLY CONFUSED... DROVE IT HOME ONCE I GOT THERE THE KNOCKING WAS THERE AND LOUD... SO I STARTED TO ELIMINATE BELTS TO FIND THE SOURCE ..... TO MY SURPRISE THE PULLEY AND BALANCER WERE LOOSE THAT I COULD MOVE THEM WITH MY HEAND UPWARDS SIDEWAYS WITH THE CENTER BOLT IN THE CRANK SHAFT STILL IN THERE.... THE RESULTS WAS THE CRACK SHAFT SNOUT GOT WORN REALLY BAD... UP TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL THE BHJ WITHOUT HAVING THE PULLEY BALANCED THIS IS MY STORY .... AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN FAST THE BALANCER WAS INSTALLED IN 09 AND LASTED TILL MARCH 11 SO TI WON'T BE RIGHT AWAY

I took your advice and got my pulley balanced. I found a machine shop down the road and charged me 35 bucks. I rather avoid anything catastrophic and do it right the first time, thanks!

I finally got everything together and she's running again. Runs smooth and actually feels a lot stronger. I miss driving my sc after a month of it sitting. I'm back on the road!

Crank pulley should only bolt on in one position. One of the four holes is purposely out of alignment with the other three to insure the crank pulley is positioned correctly.

David

You'll notice that when you bolt the pulley on, the notch on the stock pulley will always line up to the 26 degree marker on the balancer. It's kind of a cool trick. It takes the hassle out of trying to figure out the clocking position.

Back