MP FMIC Install questions

90sc35thann

I have two questions for the group.

1. do you simply use self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the top of the Intercooler to the radiator support via the two cast aluminum tangs at the top of the intercooler?

2. On a 1995 where is the best place to mount your Trans Cooler? Is it in front of the condenser and off to the right of the pusher electric fan?

Robert

To answer question 1. The self tapping screws pulled out of mine within 7 seconds or so when I bought the kit new. Little exaggeration, but not far off. I believe a nice anchor screw would do a better job.

My opinion is to put the cooler in front of all, but I doubt your setup will be remotely close to my 95's so I'm not a good source.

Chris

I have two questions for the group.

1. do you simply use self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the top of the Intercooler to the radiator support via the two cast aluminum tangs at the top of the intercooler?

2. On a 1995 where is the best place to mount your Trans Cooler? Is it in front of the condenser and off to the right of the pusher electric fan?

Robert

Robert,

The screws pulled out of mine too. Haven't had screws in mine since around 2005. The upper IC tube does a good job of holding it in place, and is also what pulls the screws out when the engine moves under a load. Just leave them out, and let it move a little.

David

I had welded a nut to the rad support and it ripped it out. i also had a bad motor mount tho... Since then ( few years ) i havent had it screwed down at all. Its really heavy, it isnt going anywhere..

This is good feedback and I appreciate all of you taking time to respond. This helps and thank you for your support.

Back when I was installing this kit, I wish I would have known not to use self tapping screws. Thankfully in the 41 miles the fmic was on the car it didn't rip them out.

90sc35thann: sorry bud, wasn't trying to set you up for failure

Robert,

The screws pulled out of mine too. Haven't had screws in mine since around 2005. The upper IC tube does a good job of holding it in place, and is also what pulls the screws out when the engine moves under a load. Just leave them out, and let it move a little.

David

Haha, I never put anything else in either.

Chris

Back