1989 cougar supercharged reset keyless entry after battery change?

?

I've had the battery out of my 90 SC for months at a time and never had to reset keyless... Maybe someone else has had similar issue. But do not think it is the battery being disconnected.

Two things.

Check the code on the trunk hinge. Is that the code you're using?

You can also pull the module and verify that's the code that you're using.

Last call - there's information on how to reprogram one. You CAN pull the board out of the housing and check THAT.

But it sounds more like the anti-theft is acting up, not the keyless entry.

RwP

Does the keyless code still unlock the doors properly when the code has been entered. If so then the "Ford" portion of the keyless entry system is working.

Now if the alarm is not being deactivated when the doors are unlocked with the code then it looks like there is a problem with the alarm. I have had alarms do some strange things after the battery was disconnected.

Not sure when Ford started to offer this feature in the keyless entry system. Where you enter the factory code or some refer to it as the "master" code then you can program in your own code. A battery disconnection may wipe out the programmed code. The factory code is usually on the tag on the keyless entry module in the truck over on the driver side behind the trunk wall liner. Some Ford cars also had the factory code on a sticker on the trunk hinge arm. The factory code should always work.

No one has asked - factory system or aftermarket...I've had a car sitting for over 5 years and it works with a battery installed...seems kind of strange.

-Tim

The SHO keyless entry allows you to set another code, one easier to remember.

The OE code will still work too and will be retained on battery disconnect. the alternate code will be lost on battery disconnect.

Not sure if the SC used the same controller, but if so this might explain things.

Good luck with your repair.

The SHO keyless entry allows you to set another code, one easier to remember.

The OE code will still work too and will be retained on battery disconnect. the alternate code will be lost on battery disconnect.

Not sure if the SC used the same controller, but if so this might explain things.

Good luck with your repair.

Well, I'll be.

The Gen1 controller does take an alternative code ... which can be lost by loss of power.

OTOH, to reset the default code, there's a wiring mod that needs to be done.

I located it at http://www.35thatr.org/Keyless/KeylessCode.htm .

Also, by using the info there, you can read the current code.

RwP

Back