Getting ready for mods looking for advice and opinions

Nolimit1112

I have a factory stock 1990 5 speed SC with 120K miles. I have an FMIC kit I am custom installing first. Planning 10% j/s pulley along with 10% sc pulley. I am going to port my old style blower and inlet plentum. I know it won't flow as good as the newer style but I do have a CNC machine and full fab shop so I should be able to open it up pretty good. Might even buy an extra blower and make my own MPX style case and plentum. Not sure what size injectors to run with this set up or how good the stock exhaust manifolds flow. I have my own custom fuel system I use on all forced induction systems I build or tune. Has anyone here ran the stinger performance pimp standalone computer? If so is it worth it? I'm not looking to do any internal work yet. I know I'm going to end up blowing the head gaskets eventually and when that happens I will do the heads or maybe even a 4.2 swap. Any idea or opinions. I will post pics as the build progresses.

With stock heads and stock exhaust you shouldn't use so much od. I'd stick with just the jack shaft pulley. Ull be working on ur motor sooner then later.

you'll want to open up those stock exhaust or at least go with shorty headers. If I had a CNC machine I'ld be porting the manifolds. Headers make spark plugs hard to get to especially if you wrap em like I did.

The problem with porting the oval port for a "smile" is that it is too thin in the corners. You have to tig weld them first while the case is thick.

The inlet is fairly restricted but can be worked. With welding and porting, I made one large enough that I could put my hand in up to my elbow.

Upgrading the blower and inlet will no make much difference without a larger throttle body, cold air and MAF.

Waste of time porting the early style blower to any degree. Its a design thing. If you look at the rear opening you will see the rotors hang down lower in the late model opening allowing the rotors to get a better bite of air. The early blower, just the tips hang down and they dont get a bite on the air as well so any porting you do is a waste of time. Going with more than 5% OD will have that poor blower just beating the air and generating a ton of heat. A FMIC, while being great at cooling the air charge from the blower, will only cool so much and your back to the computer pulling timing on the top end. As for the computer a quarter horse chip will take care of any tuning in the future, can all be done on a lap top. As for the injector size, you need to have an acturate idea on where you want to end up at. If I had not continued to up my HP expectation I would have been satisfied with one up grade on injectors. As it is, I went up to 42s than 60s and now 80s. One other thing, you seem to be really fired up to OD the heck out of the blower to make HP and with a MPX or one you make yourself you still have the problem of intake restriction. These blowers need free unrestricted TB, TB plenums and MAFs to allow the blower to move air at OD. You will see a lot of guys in the upper HP range running 95MM TBs and big 4" intake tubes. If you dont have a unrestricted intake to the blower even an MPX style blower wont perform.

Ken

First mods will be MAF, TB, and exhaust. Has anyone ever removed the Bypass at the supercharger? If so what are the pros and cons? My complete intake system will be custom fab work. Also looking in the future to build the engine going for 400whp then. Should I go ahead and get injectors that will support that HP or get them after the engine build? I seen on the stinger pimp web site there stand alone will let you do a maf delete (if I read through it right) so I was leaning toward it. As far as the blower goes I have a tig welder and cnc so porting it isnt gonna be a problem, might not get it as good as the mpx but I think with all the equipment I have I can get it close with out spending the money for an mpx. How well will the stock manifolds flow once ported?

The problem is, that even if you can say port a "smiley" onto an early model blower...you still have the inlet plenum holding you back. I think that the opening of the plenum in the center is 68mm......which is a major restriction. Also, the early model blower does NOT have an upgraded plenum, however a late model does. If you're going through all this effort on the early model, you might as well pick up a used late model, port yourself, and be one step closer to your ultimate goal.

Tom

The problem is, that even if you can say port a "smiley" onto an early model blower...you still have the inlet plenum holding you back. I think that the opening of the plenum in the center is 68mm......which is a major restriction. Also, the early model blower does NOT have an upgraded plenum, however a late model does. If you're going through all this effort on the early model, you might as well pick up a used late model, port yourself, and be one step closer to your ultimate goal.

Tom

You think it's that large? I think you are being generous. :) I have a stock 94/95 plenum sitting on my bench right now and in the middle it appears to be much smaller. It wouldn't surprise me if it's 55mm. It's a total guess but you are right, that stock plenum is garbage. Almost kind of makes you wonder why ford made it so narrow???

You think it's that large? I think you are being generous. :) I have a stock 94/95 plenum sitting on my bench right now and in the middle it appears to be much smaller. It wouldn't surprise me if it's 55mm. It's a total guess but you are right, that stock plenum is garbage. Almost kind of makes you wonder why ford made it so narrow???

Well, i think the late model is 68mm when fully ported, so i made an assumption (I know, mistake number 1 haha) that the early model was relatively the same size.. Then again, i could be completely off. But either way, its a limiting factor.

Tom

My favorite way is the way I did mine. Start buying everything, then do it all at once! Takes a lot patience, money, and dedication to the project. No matter what you think you need, there will always be something you need to support that modification better to make the last part you install more effective. All that talk drove me nuts. I went from bone stock to 330 rwhp. People advised against it in case I ran into problems, there would be too many problems to overcome at once. Worked out for me though......

Injectors and fuel pump; buy the biggest and you can tune the car from stock up to 500rwhp.

In the meantime, drive the car or totally gut your interior and change the color of it like I did! Wish i took pictures of all the parts I had accumulated before I went together.

Chris

First mods will be MAF, TB, and exhaust. Has anyone ever removed the Bypass at the supercharger? If so what are the pros and cons? My complete intake system will be custom fab work. Also looking in the future to build the engine going for 400whp then. Should I go ahead and get injectors that will support that HP or get them after the engine build? I seen on the stinger pimp web site there stand alone will let you do a maf delete (if I read through it right) so I was leaning toward it. As far as the blower goes I have a tig welder and cnc so porting it isnt gonna be a problem, might not get it as good as the mpx but I think with all the equipment I have I can get it close with out spending the money for an mpx. How well will the stock manifolds flow once ported?

The by pass is not a problem or a restriction. If you are looking for a high HP SC You need to get rid of the early blower. You cant do anything close to big HP with it. It is a boat anchor that will hold your numbers way below anything you expect. All the CNCing you do to it wont solve its basic limitation. You will need to go a minimum, 60 lb injectors, 85 TB and MAF, install a slotted maf in what ever size intake tube you use, a good fuel pump, ported and big valve heads, a really strong cam, quarter horse to tune and you might get close to 400. Stock Manifolds ported out will support 400HP. You will find that the M90 will cost you a arm and a leg to make the serious HP you want to make, and you have to have the best M90 out there to get close. Best bet for big HP is a twin screw blower or turbo

Ken

I have a factory stock 1990 5 speed SC with 120K miles. I have an FMIC kit I am custom installing first. Planning 10% j/s pulley along with 10% sc pulley. I am going to port my old style blower and inlet plentum. I know it won't flow as good as the newer style but I do have a CNC machine and full fab shop so I should be able to open it up pretty good. Might even buy an extra blower and make my own MPX style case and plentum. Not sure what size injectors to run with this set up or how good the stock exhaust manifolds flow. I have my own custom fuel system I use on all forced induction systems I build or tune. Has anyone here ran the stinger performance pimp standalone computer? If so is it worth it? I'm not looking to do any internal work yet. I know I'm going to end up blowing the head gaskets eventually and when that happens I will do the heads or maybe even a 4.2 swap. Any idea or opinions. I will post pics as the build progresses.
I agree with what Ken said on the early model blower I would ditch it. There are many ways to get to between 3 and 450 hp with this platform but they all include Ported cylinder heads, cam, mpx w new coated rotors and porting or a twin screw, fmic, 85mm or larger tb, 3.5 intake or larger, 340 fuel pump, 80lb injectors etc. you will not make good power with an early model m90 or its inlet plenum

+1 with Ken. 89 blower on my rebuilt motor best it could do was around 270rwhp and 300ftlbs of torque. Running out of power after 4800rpm.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94209&highlight=dyno

Same motor, threw on a twin screw blower, 440 hp/462 ftlbs and that was at 5600rpm with more to go if I had more fuel. (stock exhaust manifolds, with ported outlets)

You can build the motor all you want, but in the end the early blower will keep you down. A late model blower and the better plenum will get you into the high 300's. MPX or better necessary to go much beyond that.

Change out the head gaskets now. The stock replacement are cheap and the ones on there now likely have been damaged from coolant migration and are much weaker than they would be if new. You can then throw on ARP studs then as well since you plan to do some engine mods later.

60lb/hr injectors are plentiful and reasonably priced and the siemens/deka units work well through a wide performance range. You could get by with less, but if buying new, the most value is there.

Tune with whatever you are familiar with. The EEC-IV with the Quarterhorse and associated software gives you more power than most stand alone systems have. The pimp is based on the MicroSquirt (megasquirt baby) so it should be able to run the SC motor fine. You'll be on your own with that combo tho since no one else is running it.

@NoLimit I know how you feel, you have the bug to do some fabrication and itching to get that sense of accomplishment by doing things different or by yourself. But, trust me, following the proven path these guys are talking about, there will be plenty of fabrication along the way. So, you will scratch that itch. Good luck.

Definetly scrap the idea of porting the blower and start my search for a kenne bell or mpx. Quarterhorse to tune. But for added power now I have 10% js pulley and adding fmic and exhaust. Should I go ahead with 85mm tb and maf now or later?

Anyone ever used the m112?

Yes I have done the M112 and it didnt meet my expectations. When I went to the twin screw than the car started to meet my expectations. It made awesome tq on the low end but couldnt move the air when overdriven to make big boost. It also suffered from the same problem as any roots style blower, it makes lots and lots of heat compared to a twin screw.

Ken

Back