Ground wire plug at front LH side

jclars

Can someone please tell me what this ground connection plug goes to? I remember removing it from the SC but now that it is on my F100 "SC", I cant find the mating end.

Thanks,
John L

Attachments

• Front electrical ground wire.jpg
    Front electrical ground wire.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 123
If you are looking down at the battery it gets grounded to the bolt in the cor support directlin the middle of your battery. Ther shold also be a ground wire coming off your negative battery cable that connects to it. I believe that is the ground for the headlight harness.

Is that the one that ties into the negative battery cable? If so, it is the ground for the EEC. If you unplug it, the car won't start.

Well S_Mazza, that is certainly the issue I am experiencing right now! ("Car" not starting.) And I am sure I plugged this in somewhere before, but I cant locate the other cartridge end. (I have had the truck body off the chassis for the last 5 weeks and this past weekend put it all back together again.) Can you tell me where the other end would normally be located? Or what it should connect to?

I have knowingly disabled a lot of other wires (between 50-75 I'm guessing) since I started the engine last, so this could be quite interesting. However, at the moment, my fuel relay isnt working without jumping it at the test port. I have good spark at the coil packs, but no evidence of firing at the cylinders when I jump the fuel pump to run constantly. However, I will save those issues for a different post, if this grounding issue isnt it.

Thanks,
John

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is in the lower right hand corner of page 63 in the EVTM (1989), tagged as C171. If so, it would appear to go to points 40 & 60 on the Electronic Control Assembly or "ECA" . Is this the same as the PCM???

I don't have the EVTM handy, but as I recall, the other half of that connector comes up past the battery, in that corner where the radiator support and inner fender meet. I don't know its exact routing from that point.

I would say that ECA and PCM are probably interchangeable terms.

Do you still have the electric fans? Another symptom of having that wire unplugged is that the low speed fan will run constantly from the time you turn the key to "on".

The fans are plugged in, but I did not get that symptom. I did however lose the fuel pump, except when turning the ignition key to the off position, I got about 2 seconds of pump action.

I did not check the injectors for pulse, when I overrode the fuel pump, but figured it probably wasn't even worth determining, until I got the grounding issue resolved. The two grounds in the PCM (I prefer this term) are black/lt. green, so I will try to trace those backwards tonight to see if I can locate the connection.

One difficulty I have is that my truck is a "low rider", and I know part of that harness is sandwiched between the radiator and frame, so I may have missed it in my final routing. Good to know there is a possible fix in the works.

Thanks,
John L.

Alive again

Thanks to Mr. Mazzo, I was able to track it down to about where he described it's location in the SC. Just below my battery box. This is one of the benefits of locating most of the transplanted components where they are located on the original SC.

I traced it back from the PCM at the RH firewall and found the wires forked to the left up by the IRCM. On the way, I found a plug connection undone and thought I'd try the ignition. The low speed fan came on just like described in the diagnostic above. I followed the fork across, and buried beneath my ground cable and light wires, sat the little bugger. Plugged it in, and it started right up. VERY PLEASED and I learned a little more about function of various parts.

I am now getting it ready for a road test. I am going to run it as a rat rod for awhile. As you can see from the pic, it is mostly SC at heart. In fact I am thinking of some old fashioned signage on the doors that might highlight the SC hidden underneath. Thinking of "ANGRY BIRD" with an older style 59ish T-bird logo in the center.

Thanks again for the help and for sharing this valuable knowledge base.

John L.

Attachments

• Blue end at battery grd, missing socket looking up.jpg
    Blue end at battery grd, missing socket looking up.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Pulled Tbird rear wires.jpg
    Pulled Tbird rear wires.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Limited wiring to the rear.jpg
    Limited wiring to the rear.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Buttoned back together and running.jpg
    Buttoned back together and running.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 80
Working again? Excellent! Really glad to hear it was that simple.

Truck is looking good. I like the proposed theme - "Angry Bird" would be cool. Beats "Chickenheart" anyway. ;) :D

Back