clusterfrick

howard kanitz

Hey guys, I am a newbie here so be very patient. I have never seen, nor worked on a supercoupe in my life. My friend recently brought me a basket case, IE all the parts were in the trunk. It has been through 3-4 different mechanics before me. Many parts were missing. I put this monster together without a manual! It supposedly ran 5 years ago, until it blew up. Another block was semi- attatched to an art carr auto trans. When power was applied to missing positive cable, no fuel was at previously missing fuel rail port, but air pressure existed, so I turned the key off and on several times, finally fuel. I tried cranking the engine with the previously exploded ignition switch, and nothing. I by pure chance tried turning the engine with the solenoid. I reached over the engine to see how much air was going past the mass airflow, and my hand was sucked to the inlet, low and behold the damn thing with complete blockage to the freaking inlet, fired and idled smoothly. Would someone please explain what in the hell just happened? I am at a loss! The pressure at the inlet was so strong that it damn near made a hickey on my palm, but idled. I know I have a couple of small leaks at the intercooler but cant be much as strong as the suction was.

Last edited:
These cars are very picky when it comes to vacuum leaks, and if the car idled with your hand over the MAF, then you definitely have significant vacuum leaking. For starters, what did you use to seal the intercooler tubes and blower outlet? If you don't have either the Teflon gaskets, or RTV, then they are probably leaking and that would be the first thing I would check.

These cars are very picky when it comes to vacuum leaks, and if the car idled with your hand over the MAF, then you definitely have significant vacuum leaking. For starters, what did you use to seal the intercooler tubes and blower outlet? If you don't have either the Teflon gaskets, or RTV, then they are probably leaking and that would be the first thing I would check.

X2 to that.

Leaks

I am going to pressurize system soon and check leaks. Granted it must be getting air from somewhere, but it is damn near impossible to remove my hand from the MAF. I think it may be the fuel pump. I checked the fuel pressure, and it was just pissing with the fuel pump jumpered. Not even my car, but still can't waite to roast them tires!

seals

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I sealed the joints with the teflon seals, may need some tweaking after pressurizing. I might try lubing the seals and repositioning the mating surfaces if I have bad leaks.

Back