IC question for the GURUs

sc91gt

I have searched, but my question is too specific I believe. A little background... 90, auto SC, 65k motor with the following mods: 76mm maf,75mm TB,2.125" down pipes no cats into 2.5" magna flow X res/muffler, into true dual 2.5 pipes with magna flow mufflers. 5% SC pulley 5% jackshaft pulley. Raised top,(I know, but on looks alone it should flow better :)) IC fan. Have a conservative chip from Dave. I am getting ready to install a ported late model blower, MP inlet, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, and a front mount IC. I am doing a same side front mount through the hole where factory cooler was. My question is, should I do 2.75" custom tubing or just use factory tubing from IC? What would this combo benefit from? I really have no plans on future performance upgrades. redid brakes and suspension alread. Thanks.

Shawn

I have searched, but my question is too specific I believe. A little background... 90, auto SC, 65k motor with the following mods: 76mm maf,75mm TB,2.125" down pipes no cats into 2.5" magna flow X res/muffler, into true dual 2.5 pipes with magna flow mufflers. 5% SC pulley 5% jackshaft pulley. Raised top,(I know, but on looks alone it should flow better :)) IC fan. Have a conservative chip from Dave. I am getting ready to install a ported late model blower, MP inlet, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, and a front mount IC. I am doing a same side front mount through the hole where factory cooler was. My question is, should I do 2.75" custom tubing or just use factory tubing from IC? What would this combo benefit from? I really have no plans on future performance upgrades. redid brakes and suspension alread. Thanks.

Shawn

You'll need to use new tubes and remove the factory IC tubes. A 2.75 inch tube would be great. The factory IC tubes are not that great and the lower tube gets heat soaked from its vicinity to the exhaust manifold.

Really don't know how to calculate flow but...

There is a current build posted that will probably push 500 plus and run 10's.

It has has been built using 2.75.

Maybe 2.5 at your power level will maximize the overdrive and build you have.

Paul

Thanks

The IC I am looking at comes with 3" inlet/outlets so I will probably go with the 2.75". I read it is easier to place than the 3" with the available space. I was thinking of heat wrapping the lower IC tube. Would that be beneficial?

The IC I am looking at comes with 3" inlet/outlets so I will probably go with the 2.75". I read it is easier to place than the 3" with the available space. I was thinking of heat wrapping the lower IC tube. Would that be beneficial?

I wouldn't us the factory IC tubes because they ar a pain! Mine has 3" pipe coming out of top down under and through the bumper on the driver side and 2.5 going to the return mounted below the upper tube. That gets you your 2.75 and you don't have to pay a bunchj for custom pipe. The return runs diagonally across the radiator and down below on the pass side and the innercooler itself is mounted between the core support and the inner bumper.

For your mods 2.5" would be just fine. You can buy a i/c piping kit from CX Racing on Ebay for around $100 which will give you enough bends to run the tubes on a one sided i/c. The kits also come with 3 ply silicone couplers as well as stainless steel t-bolts. If you're looking to spend less money just use your stock tubes which are 2.5" on the inside and make some sort of adapters to connect them to your i/c. You don't need an i/c with 3" outlets, just get one with 2.5" outlets, that's what I did on my last FMIC setup and I had 355 rwhp on motor and 455 rwhp on the juice. I sold it to a member on this site and now have a much larger i/c setup because of the new upgrades that I've been doing.

fmicforsale002.jpg

fmicforsale001.jpg

This is my new setup, almost done.
newiccaisetup023.jpg

newiccaisetup020.jpg

Last edited:
Cx

That is what I am looking at. A CX racing IC and 2.75 tubing. Their same side IC has 3" in/out though. Thanks. I will get it in there...

That is what I am looking at. A CX racing IC and 2.75 tubing. Their same side IC has 3" in/out though. Thanks. I will get it in there...

Why would you get an i/c with 3" outlets when you're going to use 2.75" tubes?

Why not just get an i/c with 2.75" outlets or is it that you can't find one with that size? You could go with something like the link below, it has a long air flow track that should cool much better than the style that I used. Short i/c airflow runs are bad, long runs are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-X11-5-X3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae876ea03&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
$

Like most people I don't want to spend a ton of money. From the research I have done CX racing has had really good reviews. I like their 31"x12"x3" IC but I have only seen it with 3'' inlet/outlet. Which sould not hurt anything flow wise using 2.75'' tubing. Overall it should out perform the factory setup.
Why would you get an i/c with 3" outlets when you're going to use 2.75" tubes?

Why not just get an i/c with 2.75" outlets or is it that you can't find one with that size? You could go with something like the link below, it has a long air flow track that should cool much better than the style that I used. Short i/c airflow runs are bad, long runs are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-X11-5-X3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae876ea03&vxp=mtr

Like most people I don't want to spend a ton of money. From the research I have done CX racing has had really good reviews. I like their 31"x12"x3" IC but I have only seen it with 3'' inlet/outlet. Which sould not hurt anything flow wise using 2.75'' tubing. Overall it should out perform the factory setup.
It is hard to find i/c's with 2.75" outlets, my new setup in the pics the i/c is 31"x12"x4" and it came with 3" outlets which I changed to 2.75". I guess you can just use reducer silicone couplers to mate the 2 and it'll way out perform the stock set up.

my FMIC is 31x11x3 with 2.75 in/out. does a really good job, on a 90 degree day boost temps will only be 15-20 degrees over ambient temp max. this is with a ported late model at 20% od

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330369182257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I kept power steering, and ac with stock condenser if anyone was wondering

With 20% OD did u use coated rotors or uncoated? Im gonna be having a 10% JS and im not sure if its a 5 or an 8% blower pulley that I have and im wondering whether using my gtp coated set or uncoated low mile rotors ? I got a 31x12x3 new fmic on this set up and dont want to get flaked coating on it

With 20% OD did u use coated rotors or uncoated? Im gonna be having a 10% JS and im not sure if its a 5 or an 8% blower pulley that I have and im wondering whether using my gtp coated set or uncoated low mile rotors ? I got a 31x12x3 new fmic on this set up and dont want to get flaked coating on it

Your GTP coated rotor pack would need modified. Dave Clark used a set of GTP rotors and I believe he had to have the shafts machined.

Your best bet would be to send a rotor pack to Charles at MP to have them coated with the abradive (spelling).

Your GTP coated rotor pack would need modified. Dave Clark used a set of GTP rotors and I believe he had to have the shafts machined.

Your best bet would be to send a rotor pack to Charles at MP to have them coated with the abradive (spelling).

You know I put in the gtp coated pack and didnt like quite how it felt on there it spins freely and all and I got the dowel pins corrected to go onto out m90s but idk I got that gut feeling about it
Plus with that OD im leaning towards the uncoated and get a good set rebuild and coated however the abrasive coated rotors are expensive :(

Back