aod acting weird after trans pan video add

92sclikenew

ok did my nice trans pan install now after driving a few times trans is acting weird also did the deep 4x4 pickup filter but had to cut off about a 1/4 inch or so to make it work..

first shifts are fine and act fine, but anything after the first set of shifts. every time else it revs to 3500rpms to shift if your hard in the throttle it shifts fine but that's high rpm shifts anyways...

im not getting any od ether and the trans was fine and only has a hard 35k on it

trans don't slip, feels strong as crap tv cable was set all the way tight at wot like it was before so i decided to loosing it up a little and still no change.. i have another trans to swap but id hate to do all that if this ones not broken, and the one in the car has a little work done to it..

also the car has a 2800 stall convert but nothing has changed other then the body the motor/trans was in and the trans pan.. but the trans was fine before the pan and fine after the pan but a week later its acting up

fluid looked a little burnt when i did the pan..

dont mind the speedo its acting goofy too

<iframe width="1024" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WPmJc-lbHS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
i have the exact same issue with the current trans in my red car. i did a b&m transpak install on mine and it started doing exactly what he desribes. i know for a fact im my case that the filter gasket is in place

I'm 99% sure gasket is installed but.. I had the filter on and off like 5 times trimming the neck to get the pan to fit

I'm ready to take the pan back off because for some reason I feel I forgot to tighten the filter but I doubt I did that

Last edited:
aod troubles

Good morning

I experienced problems with aod transmissions following high mileage routine servicing (130K plus). The transmission was fine prior to changing the ATF and filter. In my case it turn out to be varnish within the valve body causing sticking. Servicing fresh ATF can cause tiny "curd" to loosen and migrate to valve body spools or pistons. I have used Trans-tune (a Sea Foam product) with some success. Drain enough to add the compete contents. Drive car. Should notice a difference within 10-25 miles. You can leave the product in or drain and re-service.

Why did you have to trim the filter neck? My TCI pan fit without modifying anything??

mine was hitting the inside ribs right at the drain plug, do you have the same pan as me?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Any other suggestions other then tearing the Trans pan back off... Didnt have a chance to do it this passed weekend so I'm gonna tackle I today

Last edited:
got the pan and filter off nothing looks odd.....?

i did how ever buy a duralast filter and i auto autozone stuff... so im gonna go get a wix filter since thats all i can find that seems to be a decent brand? no?

filter was tight, gasket was also in place.

i wonder if the 4x4 filter even being cut down is still to long and causing the trans to not be able to get sufficient fluid pickup? because if the pickup is still jammed into the bottom then its not really open... since the trans pan has ribs its not like on a flat surface. i read you shouldn't use a stock style filter but wondering if i should go back to it. ive read that the reason for longer filter is fluid starving, how could it starve is the level was a high as stock?

if i was to cut another 1/4-1/2 inch off this style filter there wouldn't be a whole lot left..

Attachments

• photo(23).jpg
    photo(23).jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I did how ever find out the pan I have is for a 4r70w Trans but fits also so I wonder if that's why I'm having issues with the 4x4 filter and this plan... I'm gonna try my luck with a stock filter today

I can see all sort of problems with that filter snout. First off, it can cause the pan to not go on completely and if it does, unless something channels the fluid from the bottom of the pan, then it could block the fluid flow.
My suggestion, if you plan to stay with the deeper pan and filter, would be to cut the snout down by so that you have at least 1/4" clearance from the bottom of the pan.

Due to sloshing.

this filter is already cut down but i realized its not enough

and how could there be more sloshing when the fluid comes to the same level as before it didn't slosh to much then... ??

i do think its not sucking up enough fluid and the 4x4 pick up was still to long when i installed it...

i did try to cut the one i had already cut down again last night but it just cause all kinds of mess that i didnt even wanna try to put back into my trans so im going to get a new one today and try again.. still undecided if i wanna do stock or modify a 4x4 one.

this filter is already cut down but i realized its not enough

and how could there be more sloshing when the fluid comes to the same level as before it didn't slosh to much then... ??

i do think its not sucking up enough fluid and the 4x4 pick up was still to long when i installed it...

i did try to cut the one i had already cut down again last night but it just cause all kinds of mess that i didnt even wanna try to put back into my trans so im going to get a new one today and try again.. still undecided if i wanna do stock or modify a 4x4 one.

I feel the same way about using the 4x4 filter with extended pick-up. The deeper pan shouldn't need a filter with extended pickup pipe unless you plan to operate your car at some extreme angles like a 4x4 truck could encounter. The deeper pan simply has more fluid below where the stock pan did and since the fill level on the dipstick is referenced from the top of the transmission, it doesn't matter if the pan is deeper...so long as you add enough fluid to show full on the dipstick, it will work fine with the stock filter.

David

I feel the same way about using the 4x4 filter with extended pick-up. The deeper pan shouldn't need a filter with extended pickup pipe unless you plan to operate your car at some extreme angles like a 4x4 truck could encounter. The deeper pan simply has more fluid below where the stock pan did and since the fill level on the dipstick is referenced from the top of the transmission, it doesn't matter if the pan is deeper...so long as you add enough fluid to show full on the dipstick, it will work fine with the stock filter.

David

That's what I figure thanks David

That's what I figure thanks David

I'm no transmission expert and there may be a valid reason for using the extended filter...I just can't see what it is. BTW, I'm using the stock filter on my 91 SC with a Lentech deep pan. I think my 93 SC has the extended filter and now that you mention it, I had a slipping problem when going into first gear on a cold motor. The cure was over filling it by a quart.

David

I'm no transmission expert and there may be a valid reason for using the extended filter...I just can't see what it is. BTW, I'm using the stock filter on my 91 SC with a Lentech deep pan. I think my 93 SC has the extended filter and now that you mention it, I had a slipping problem when going into first gear on a cold motor. The cure was over filling it by a quart.

David

yea im not taking your word hoping it will be good and then gettin on here and bashing you cuz you said it...

i understand at my own risk, i bought the stock filter today ill report back once its on and test drive.;)

david i was also having the same prob with mine with the stock pan and filter because some how i managed to push the pan in from jacking.. which is the whole reason for changing this pan plus the fluid and cool factor

Last edited:
complete waste of time that trans is junk....

after the filter change and reinstalling the pan i put in new fluid again..... :(

and now it only 1-2 shift sometimes with a 3rd :mad:

so out its gonna come unless there's suggested fix.

Hard stops and/or cornering (more than you would encounter on the street) can push the fluid up to front of the trans in the pan. Since the inlet is at the rear of the filter it can be starved momentarily. This can happen even with a stock pan if the fluid is low. Overfilling to the top hash mark helps out in that case.

complete waste of time that trans is junk....

after the filter change and reinstalling the pan i put in new fluid again..... :(

and now it only 1-2 shift sometimes with a 3rd :mad:

so out its gonna come unless there's suggested fix.
I wouldnt throw in the towel just yet. Unless the trans was already worn out, it might still be the fluid level. Best way to top it off is with the pan level to the ground. That can be a challenge :rolleyes: But with the engine running, add/check/add/check till its where you want it. I used a small carpenters level and raised the front till i had it right. Made a big difference for mine... However, I just found i have a drip from one of the pump seals :(

Back