Ball joint failure

Tommy Turbo

So while driving 70 on fwy, my front left lower ball joint separated. Rim was shredded inside out from rubbing on caliper. Everything in the front end was replaced about 5-7 k ago, all new ball joints upper and lower, struts, bushings, tie rod ends. Shouldn't these parts last longer than that? Believe the ball joint / control arm was moot parts. No body damage I can see.

Fender liner is destroyed as is rim. I haven't gotten the car home yet to inspect more, but any things I should look for when repairing all this? Never had a problem like this before. Will post pics later too. Really angry right now. The odd thing to me was that the car wanted to go right really hard when this happened and not to the left, considering the left wheel was the problem.

Wow! Sounds like you got a defective ball joint for sure. What brand? Do you recall? I bought a suspension rebuild kit for a 1997 thunderbird once off EBay. It was some unbranded junk and I had the same thing happen. Fortunately for me it popped apart in the parking lot of the body shop I deal with back in NJ so there was no damage to my car.

after looking back at my receipts it was around 5 k ago / Oct 2011, and pretty sure they were control arms with new ball joints as one assembly, I know on my SHO that's the only way you can get them.

btw your car is mine's twin.

photo_zpsd204d7d9.jpg

tons of aluminum shavings everywhere, they were all bunched up inside the rim, wheel well. This was a quick shot I took while I was waiting for AAA.

Nice to know. The teal is growing on me. I wasn't thrilled with it when I purchased it but I was after a rust free car and flew to SC for it and drove it home. Rust free SC's were non existent up here in New England.

That really sucks. First I have to say that I am sorry to hear about this. I also want to say you are lucky you weren't killed. If you were going fast it could have been a whole lot worse. Take good pictures and I would send a letter to the manufacturer and insist they pay for the repairs and damage. It's a huge liability issue.

Glad you are OK. That is most important. You can fix this mess.

Make sure you check out your rack and pinion unit real good too. I am certain the only thing that prevented that tire from kicking out and destroying your fender was the tie rod assembly. I'll bet that rack was hanging on for dear life.

Thanks, I am looking at it from that standpoint as well....just very disgusted. I'm going to take a lot of pics and am trying to track down the exact brand now. I don't by parts like this off ebay, only stuff I get from ebay is trim, radios, stuff I can buy new or find in a yard.

I've got part numbers, and am almost certain they are moog parts, but the numbers I have aren't matching up with what I see on rock auto. Might need to just go back to the parts store.

I pm'd some local folks on here about rims they have for sale, and am probably going to need a tire too, as mine looked trashed even though it was holding air.

I've been thinking about a new rack anyway as mine has vaps issues ( my SHO's do too, must be a ford thing) guess it is a good time.

What a day. Was on my way to a big socal all ford auto show, spent $30 non refundable to enter the car too.

i have heard of that one other time on a lowered car,not sure what brand it was but it took him for the ride of his life,i remember him saying that.Thats not common.

mine is stock ride height. Part was from carquest, it was their higher end part. Mechanic who I took the car to had already spoken to carquest to see if he could get them warrantied, they say it's over a year old and won't, and implied that I must have done something abusive to them.

I'm wondering if I should try calling their corporate offices and push the issue that it's a major safety problem. I also wondered if getting an attorney is worth it or not. I just want them to take responsibility for their part, and repair everything, not looking for a big settlement or anything.

Anyone here who might have experience with the legal aspect, please chime in. Thanks for the folks who have already been kind enough to offer rims as well.

mine is stock ride height. Part was from carquest, it was their higher end part. Mechanic who I took the car to had already spoken to carquest to see if he could get them warrantied, they say it's over a year old and won't, and implied that I must have done something abusive to them.

I'm wondering if I should try calling their corporate offices and push the issue that it's a major safety problem. I also wondered if getting an attorney is worth it or not. I just want them to take responsibility for their part, and repair everything, not looking for a big settlement or anything.

Anyone here who might have experience with the legal aspect, please chime in. Thanks for the folks who have already been kind enough to offer rims as well.

Attorneys just cost money. The important thing is you weren't hurt. I do feel they should be responsible for repairs. That said I would take them to small claims court. Plead your case to the judge. Get a statement from your mechanic. It is cheaper that way. IMO.

Had the same thing happen

IT,S GOING TO BE SCARY AT HI SPEEDS, IF U DON,T LOSE CONTROL OF THE CAR !!!!! IT MAY B CAUSED IF BIGGER AND WIDER TIRES ARE ON THE FRONT !!!:mad:

I was doing 70-75 when this happened. I've got stock size wheels and tires.

An update for everyone

Manufacturer responded to an email, and are interested in seeing the joint, photos of the damage, receipts from purchase and may be willing to cover repairs....will keep you all updated as I know more.

Wow uuur really lucky u didn't ripp off ur front end or dropp the entire bumper on the ground. I blew one stoppin at a gas pump. Luckley I have 18s on it I limped it the 1 mile straihgt drive back home. Scrapped inside of rim a lil. Then the other side blew 100 yards away from advanced auto. I hade a brand new moog lower control arm I bought 2 mins before I blew it. Was going about 10 mph and it dropped the car down and stopped it in the middle of the road. Tire tucked and twisted under the car. Barley got it 30 ft to a parking lot and fixed it fight their. Just buy the who control arm. Moog is the only way to go.

an update for everyone on this.

Part that failed was a carquest part (searched receipts for a while on that), and after sending them pics of the damage, and the actual part, they decided to send $450. Not sure how they came up with the $ amount, but am pleased. They also sent new parts, but I had already got moog replacement parts. The moog parts look sturdier / bigger. Decided to replace both sides just to be safe, and did the rack as well ( it needed that anyhow) plus the left side outer tie rod (figure it had a lot of force on it when the ball joint failed). Just waiting on a set of rims (sitting on the min spare right now) then I can get a alignment and be back on the road.

I'm glad they did something for you! Doesn't exactly make up for the terror, but at least it's something.

I wonder if the manufacturer shipped the part dry?

Back