best supercharger pulley material?

90tbirdsc

I was wondering what the best material for a supercharger pulley is? I know steel will wear the longest but does aluminum grip better? ive also heard if aluminum starts to slip you can just wire wheel them and then they will grip like new?

my options are a 3.00 diameter steel pulley or a 5% aluminum pulley.

You don't wire wheel them. You file the tops of the ribs down in order for them to grip again.

The aluminum pulley will wear out faster. That is a given due to the metal being much softer. The aluminum pulley will have less centrifugal weight. This should put less stress on the bearings to some degree and let the supercharger spin up easier for les parasitic loss. If you could track down a Reichard or Billet Flow that would work on the M90 snout, they have grooves cut into them to increase grip on the belt for reduced slip.

The aluminum pulley will wear out faster. That is a given due to the metal being much softer. The aluminum pulley will have less centrifugal weight. This should put less stress on the bearings to some degree and let the supercharger spin up easier for les parasitic loss. If you could track down a Reichard or Billet Flow that would work on the M90 snout, they have grooves cut into them to increase grip on the belt for reduced slip.

but between the 2 there isint a difference in grip?

Given that aluminum is softer it will polish if there is slip so I would say steel has more grip.

Al-Al has a lower coefficient of than Steel-Steel is that helps.

Back