Power Steering sensitivity - trim spring?

jclars

This came up in my F100 post, but thought I might get a wider response if I didn't bury it under that unrelated topic. S_Mazza responded to a comment concerning the results of using the SC PS with the Jaguar steering rack. (BTW, the Jag used a standard GM Saginaw type pump with close to the same pressure rating - I thought.)

I took the ride control system out and thought that the speed sensors were part of that package, so removed them as well. It seemed to be associated with so much more than the EVO, that I figured it would virtually render it useless anyway. Can it/Is it a standalone component (the EVO)?

I have been reading on a cobra forum where many have installed Ford Mustang (fox) PS with the same issue. Most have opted to trim the pres. regulator spring back to regain a firmer feel. Fewer went to a Heidt pressure regulator.

I understand that Ford used the same PS pump on all this era of car. Has anyone got experience in any PS modifications?

I didn't think I was done asking questions of you guys!

Thanks once again,

John L.

Have you hooked up an Electronic speed sensor to the transmission yet? :) (Remember the ECU is looking for it too)

If not then i say trim the spring?

If Yes, then you'll have to do a few things, wiring in the steering wheel rotation sensor, and get a EVO module from a V8 car (usually under the parcel shelf in the trunk) then you can wiring in the EVO without needing the Ride Control Computer :)
I was going to do this myself when i took the ride control out of my '91 XR7 (have Koni's all around)

Thanks for the response. Not getting a lot of attention on this, as I am sure it is not the usual mod one does to a stock car.

Is the regulator spring behind the high pressure hose fitting?

I will eventually get one of the chip upgrades mentioned on this forum, as I am sure the computer is looking for lots of missing items!

John L.

Sorry can't help you on the modifying of the power steering pump itself. Hopefully someone else can chime in thou on that one.

Back