95 runs..sorta

TBirdSC89

my 95 sc runs awesome when running before it starts heating up, but when it gets warm and i try to drive it, it cuts out bad for a few seconds than acts like its ok to run, and repeats the process. im not driving this until i figure this out, i dont want to detonate the engine if its a fuel problem. so far i got no cel, no upshift light when trying to start, tach works ok doesnt flucuate, oil/coolant looks fine just changed oil and added coolant. few things im doing tomorrow to check
harmonic balancer
fuel pressure
compression test
spark plugs werent gapped right by whoever did it last, not sure if thatll fix much.
check spark, and ignition
if all this comes out ok, than i guess cam and crank sensor, maybe the crank sensor is being whacked by the balancer

Define cuts out....do you mean idle drops? Car shakes? Idle gets real rough? Throttle unresponsive?

i should of been more technical with cutting out oops haha. when i give it gas the throttle becomes basically unresponsive for a few seconds, engine shakes bad the idle when its parked and running is rough a little, kinda sounds like its choking for air when its parked. forgot to mention ill be checking the throttle air sensor too

First I would smoke test the motor to identify any vacuum leaks. They can cause these cars to run like crap. Also, plugs and wires will be a good thing to change, as they also cause problems. I would start with those three things and go from there

agreed with the smoke test, its been a very long week for me i didnt even think of that. thatll be a good start and also the plugs/wires to start

i did a leak test, fuel pressure, compression and changed out spark plugs, coil is good too. i doubled checked it all. it runs a little better, but when it runs for a while and than when its put in drive or reverse, or any gear besides park it almost dies or does die. i notice the vacuum and rpms drop a little, vacuum from 20 to 10 or so and rpm drops 500 or so, not sure if its normal or not. im going to check the maf, cam and crank sensors, maybe the balancer might be off too, but i did clean out the idle air and the throttle

although crank and cam sensor with what ive experienced wont let you restart the car right away until it cools down. im definitely pulling off the dis module and putting heatsink in it, and cleaning the maf out. also pulling off the panel to the eec to make sure its tight and good.

Last edited:
I have had that happen befor. It eventually threw a code and was a bad cam sensor. I had it happen a 2nd time a while later and it was a loose wire at my dis.

ahhhh! i thought i got it running right, but not yet. when it gets warm it starts idling like its choking for air. im guessing if everything checks out, than as the shop manual says it could be valves, guides or some other big engine problem. as far as codes, i havent gotten any but however the miles on the odometer stopped working, ill need to fix that too but maybe the cel isnt even working. either way ill need to get an ob1 and scan for any codes. i have yet to check crank sensor, balancer. everything else ive checked and is ok. although the previous owner cut off the cats..and i need to look closer and make sure there isnt a exhaust leak, and or that to o2 sensors are still there and functioning right

Problem found

I believe I have found my problem. I was checking o2 sensors and noticed the egr has a few holes in the line right above the exhaust. My spare one that I polished is broken and I didnt realize it, so ill either be welding one of them together or deleting the egr all together

Back