old gas

jrl

My car has has not been run since November 2011 when I replaced the fuel pump. Foolishly, I did not add anything to the stabilize the fuel.
Today I went to start it and it would not start until I put a shot of starting fluid to it but died out. I can hear the fuel pump come on and will make sure it is pumping gas but for now I am assuming the gas is bad. I only put about 5 gallons in it when I installed the fuel pump. Would it be safe to either put more fresh gas in it, and / or maybe an octane boost?

My car has has not been run since November 2011 when I replaced the fuel pump. Foolishly, I did not add anything to the stabilize the fuel.
Today I went to start it and it would not start until I put a shot of starting fluid to it but died out. I can hear the fuel pump come on and will make sure it is pumping gas but for now I am assuming the gas is bad. I only put about 5 gallons in it when I installed the fuel pump. Would it be safe to either put more fresh gas in it, and / or maybe an octane boost?

If it was me I would drain the old gas out and go put in some new 91 octane gas and maybe some fuel injector cleaner to freshen things up.

Thanks for the feed back, but I got it started. It turns out the fuel pump wasn't working. But I went thru the processes until I got it to work. It ran great too.

Back