76 mm C&L MAF issues

J dot Miller

The other day I installed my old 76 mm C&L MAF in my 90 XR7. This is the same MAF I ran in my 95 4.6L back in the 90's with no issues. It has a gold sample tube installed from the factory.

When I installed it in the XR7 the car wanted to stall until it was warmed up. Without the tube it idles low but does not stall. With the tube the idle is rough. Vacuum is good.

The sample tube is installed such that the colored flat end is towards the filter and tapered end towards the TB. I remember an old post where some recommended that the tube was installed the other way around. Any ideas?
:confused:

The other day I installed my old 76 mm C&L MAF in my 90 XR7. This is the same MAF I ran in my 95 4.6L back in the 90's with no issues. It has a gold sample tube installed from the factory.

When I installed it in the XR7 the car wanted to stall until it was warmed up. Without the tube it idles low but does not stall. With the tube the idle is rough. Vacuum is good.

Gold should be the correct tube. You're best bet would be to get a tune from Dalke.

I believe the beveled end of the tube faces the filter.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/Calibration-chart.php

The tapered end faces the filter. Gold should be for 30lb inj. Orange for 36lb.

Thank you both. I thought that was the case but I wanted to verify. I will try flipping the tube when I get a chance.
:D

A calibrated meter is for its specific engine/vehicle specs

A meter for a 4.6 is completely different than the meters for the sc's

The C&L utilizes the factory electronics and alters the signal via the calibration tube. So the same housing can be used on any vehicle as long as the original electronics are used with it.

It is a gold meter. I thought all meters of the same color were identical.

I was hoping the MAF would be an easy bolt on boost since it has been sitting around for some time. No real mods installed. Some waiting but that will be later. The car is basically a stock 1990 XR7 with a new paint job, K&N air filter and a BHJ balancer.

FF gave me stuff to put on the car after I get her ready. I have a raised top, double IC and a DIS heat sink waiting for me to finish the other tasks. First things first, I want to get Her show worthy... or at least give the impression She is...

I have been working feverishly getting the body and other older components painted and up to snuff in the hope to do a show tour this summer.

I just painted the reverse blackouts in my rear reflector. I painted some under hood items. Then degreased the rest. Need to apply more paint under the hood. Spent some time cleaning the dash. Still have to swap out the air vents into a intact center air vent panel that I have. Then there is the issue with the random amber ABS light (possible ground). So much work and so little time... Alas I hope I have at least one more nice weekend before the junk starts falling from the trees?

Last edited:
The housing and sampling tube are fine. Just take the electronics from the factory SC MAF and transfer it to the C&L meter. Take your 4.6 electronics off because it was designed to signal the ecm for a 4.6 V8 not a supercharged 3.8.

Post some pics of your progress.

It is a gold meter. I thought all meters of the same color were identical.

I was hoping the MAF would be an easy bolt on boost since it has been sitting around for some time. No real mods installed. Some waiting but that will be later. The car is basically a stock 1990 XR7 with a new paint job, K&N air filter and a BHJ balancer.

FF gave me stuff to put on the car after I get her ready. I have a raised top, double IC and a DIS heat sink waiting for me to finish the other tasks. First things first, I want to get Her show worthy... or at least give the impression She is...

I have been working feverishly getting the body and other older components painted and up to snuff in the hope to do a show tour this summer.

I just painted the reverse blackouts in my rear reflector. I painted some under hood items. Then degreased the rest. Need to apply more paint under the hood. Spent some time cleaning the dash. Still have to swap out the air vents into a intact center air vent panel that I have. Then there is the issue with the random amber ABS light (possible ground). So much work and so little time... Alas I hope I have at least one more nice weekend before the junk starts falling from the trees?

A gold tube is a gold tube. You are fine. Re-install with the beveled side facing the filter and use the electronics from the XR7 MAF. It will be good.

Thanks guys. I flipped it over and will another install try after I complete my dash work this weekend (I hope). Would take picture but I am sooo busy with work (rushing yet another new product design) and play I have no spare time to do the things I used to take for granted. It is all becoming a blurr... :eek:

I am glad it worked out. I am looking forward to checking out your Cat at Carlisle. BTW - did you see the post I put in under the used car section? There is a 1989 Cougar XR7 Supercharged with a 5 speed for sale in Carlisle PA.

Thanks. I saw that car. I drooled but I am broke. Trying to sell the 5.4L Cougar to a lucky person to cover some expenses and continue the XR7 project. The Wife says I can only have one project car so I put my other baby on craigslist. I will miss that car. She is a couch on steroids! :(

Last edited:
Back