PDA

View Full Version : My first supercoupe got some ????

93superbirdie
04-28-2013, 11:07 PM
1993 ford thunderbird supercoupe
Long tube headers with H pipe and true duals
Cold air intake
Stage 2 clutch
Build transmission with short throw shifter

The previous owner said the head gaskets have never been changed how scared should I be about blowing a head gasket? It has 116000 miles.

LIVipers
04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Well, you didn't say you were running any OD on the blower, so as long as you drive it nicely you can make them last. Although, just be aware its bound to happen eventually.

MadMikeyL
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
It's hard to say without knowing the history of the car, but if it was well maintained, you should be fine. While these cars are prone to head gasket failure, it is not guaranteed to happen at all. I had an 89XR7 that had over 170K on the original head gaskets when it finally spun a rod bearing, but the HGs never went at all. My advise would be to keep up on the cooling system, make sure the fuel system is in good shape and that you don't run lean, and make sure you don't overheat it, and there is no reason the head gaskets have to go any time soon.

93superbirdie
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
So it's not a good idea to but on a smaller pulley on the blower. It's stock right now. Would it be a good idea to put on a air fuel ratio gauge on it just to be safe. The guy before me acted like he took care of it never driven in the winter blah blah blah stuff like that.

MadMikeyL
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
A wide-band O2 sensor and air/fuel ratio gauge is certainly a good idea. Putting a smaller blower pulley on would be fine if the engine is in good shape, but if the HGs are about to blow, it may expedite it. Don't go too small with the pulley though because especially with the early style case it will generate too much heat for the stock intercooler to dissipate. A 5% OD would be fine though.

93superbirdie
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
So how much would I expect from a 5% pulley power wise with what is allready done to it. Was thinking about replacing jackstaft pulleys too 5% ones. Just wondering would it be a good idea to replace the head gaskets before one of them blow? Like in the winter time when I'm not driving it. I'm planing on doing alot to this motor in the future. More power

LIVipers
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Low end torque would improve, however you'll notice little on the top end because the intercooler will be heat soaked by that time. Your best bet would be to go and pick up a late model blower if you want to start with OD. It will cause less headaches and more smiles in the long run.

93superbirdie
04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
What do you mean by late model blower like one off one of the first SC that came out or what?

LIVipers
04-29-2013, 10:08 PM
What do you mean by late model blower like one off one of the first SC that came out or what?

Super Coupes came with 2 styles of blowers. The 89-93 are considered to be "early model" when it comes to superchargers, and 94-95 are considered to be "late model" when it comes to superchargers. The main difference between the two is the late model has a rectangular inlet, thus allowing more air flow and being more efficient. More efficiency/air=more power. The late model blower also came with the epoxy coated rotors, which allowed for a better seal and a more efficient transfer of air. Both blowers can be ported, however, you'll see much more gains with a late model than with an early model SC. Keep an eye out on the for-sale section, as they pop up quite often. Combine a late model blower with an MP inlet and you'll swear you're driving a different car.