New Exhaust

nathanC

I am looking at upgrading the stock exhuast system. I have been having trouble finding much of a selection to choose from. Any suggestions on where to look or what set up to go with.

Bill from supercoupeperformance.com has a nice kit and I have heard that mandrel exhaust has a good set up as well.

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.co...ord-cln-89-dsh-97-Ford-Thunderbird/Categories

In my opinion your best bet would be go to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want.

I will always recommend making certain there are a minimum of three flanges in the system. One behind the resonator so you drop the pipes down up front in case you need to pull a transmission and one in front of each axle so you can remove a muffler just in case you want to remove your differential, etc.

Some of the systems out there once installed are complete one piece systems. Once you put it all together and you need to drop your transmission, etc. you'll find yourself cutting your nice exhaust system.

Last edited:
I will always recommend making certain there are a minimum of three flange in the system. One behind the resonator so you drop the pipes down up front in case you need to pull a transmission and one in front of each axle somyou can remove a muffler just in case you want to remove your differential, etc.

Some of the systems out there once installed are complete one piece systems. Once you put it all together and you need to drop your transmission, etc. you'll find yourself cutting your nice exhaust system.

Amen to that suggestion

Ken

?

Mandrel bent exhaust has true dual 2.5" pipes from resonator back... other than that it is choice of mufflers. I recommend straight style. Boosted motors like it.

What year is your car? If you have the early car, consider getting a late model tank or a Mark VIII tank. The exhaust does not wrap around providing a straiter path for flow. Flowmaster Force II is a direst bolt on and has the flanges mentioned.

You are all crazy. Ive always had my systems made one piece. And when I need to do a transmission..The whole thing drops in on epiece. We have IRS. I see no need for makeing multiple joints

You are all crazy. Ive always had my systems made one piece. And when I need to do a transmission..The whole thing drops in on epiece. We have IRS. I see no need for makeing multiple joints

I have had the one piece exhaust and it was a major pain. Now if I want to drop just the mufflers I can do it in a few minutes if I want to. My previous setup, which was built with easy of removal in mind, made it easy to repair a resonator that split when I had a back fire. Everything I build I do with easy or maintence in mind. Thats not crazy thats good old common sense;)

Ken

Sorry to jack this thread but I didn't want to make a new one just for one question :p

Does anyone know if there is someone out there selling the front half of the exhaust like mandrel but without the cats? This is EXACTLY what I want but WITHOUT the cats!!

Edit: I guess I could always buy it, cut the cats off, knock the guts out of them and get them welded back on but.. that would suck to hack up a nice new exhaust system :p

Last edited:
Sorry to jack this thread but I didn't want to make a new one just for one question :p

Does anyone know if there is someone out there selling the front half of the exhaust like mandrel but without the cats? This is EXACTLY what I want but WITHOUT the cats!!

Edit: I guess I could always buy it, cut the cats off, knock the guts out of them and get them welded back on but.. that would suck to hack up a nice new exhaust system :p

You could call Mandrel Exhaust Systems and ask. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make one for you.

yup, I called them and asked the same thing, they wont sell without the cats, they say its some regulation thing. stupid.

didnt SCP sell catless down pipes and basicly the rest of the set up?

I did the other day.. they said they don't offer anything like that unfortunately

they don't currently, I have the original prototype mandrel bent downtubes w/o cats. the catted versions are the exact same as mine but with cats.

maybe watch the for sale section, something similar to mine might pop up

Down pipes.

A local shop I had install my set up, made 2 1/4" down pipes. No cats into magna flow 2.5" x muffler. Not mandrel bent but flows way better than the factory with cats and less than 2" non mandrel piping...

Back