Steering Rack?

Regul8r

Looking for input as to what Rack to buy? Where to buy?

I want to replace the rack with inner/outer tie rods and boots.
Also the rag joint.

Anything to watch out for when buying?
Is the rack for the SC the same as the base T-Birds?

Looking for input as to what Rack to buy? Where to buy?

I want to replace the rack with inner/outer tie rods and boots.
Also the rag joint.

Anything to watch out for when buying?
Is the rack for the SC the same as the base T-Birds?

I like A1 Cardone for rebuilds but I believe someone else indicated there is another good aftermarket alternative as well. My rack was not leaking but had a ton of slop in it. So much slop that I wouldn't believe it wasn;t leaking.

I installed an A1 about a year ago and thus far I have been happy. Knowing what I know now I would probably opt for a reman unit direct from Ford. Maybe even new if it isn;t grossly overpriced and still available.

My recommendation is to remove the inner tie rods of the new rack and install the rack withou the inner tie-rods attached. it was much easier to work with. Then you can re-install the inner tie-rods once the rack is installed. That's how I did mine and it worked well. The job wasn;t too bad. it just takes some patience.

NAPA still has them available and the price is reasonable if you return your core. It could save the shipping charges.

Thanks for all the input.

Napa and O'Reilly both carry remanned ones, lifetime warranty.
$90-100 with Inner Tie rods already mounted and boots.
Outer tie rods for $15 with lifetime warranty too.

NEXT PROJECT COMING UP!
Gotta get underneath and find the clunks.
I rebuilt the entire front end 3yrs ago with the cheapo E-Bay set and it has taken some abuse. no real issues just trying to tie up some of the LITTLE things now that she is my DD again.

Make sure you check the threaded length of the inner tie rod ends.Twice already I've received an A1 Cardone rack assembly that had the incorrect ones installed.It turned out that they installed Mustang inners on a T-Bird rack.The first time I did one on mine,I found out they hard way.Just my $.02 worth....

Thanks for all the input.

Napa and O'Reilly both carry remanned ones, lifetime warranty.
$90-100 with Inner Tie rods already mounted and boots.
Outer tie rods for $15 with lifetime warranty too.

NEXT PROJECT COMING UP!
Gotta get underneath and find the clunks.
I rebuilt the entire front end 3yrs ago with the cheapo E-Bay set and it has taken some abuse. no real issues just trying to tie up some of the LITTLE things now that she is my DD again.

Check the engine cradle bolts.

I replace all the bushings on mine and it still clunked horrifically at times. After one of the members suggested it was the cradle bolts, I got under it and took a look. I noticed that the area around them was shiny and one was actually sticking out about 1/8 of an inch. After I torqued them to spec, no more clunk.

Suggestion on the cradle bolts?

Check them and torque them to the bottom of the range (check the service manual), then one at a time, back them out and loctite blue'em.

Or red. Mine I used red on. I don't want those coming out without a fight! :eek:

RwP

good stuff there!

Will let y'all know.
I seriously think the cheapo front end stuff I put in in 2010 could be the culprit but I am damn sure going to check the cradle bolts!

Back