superchicken motor

87OldsSlutlass

My friend has a 90 Superchicken and he was saying that the drivetrain is all made by Mazda. I thought the SC just had a regular Ford 3.8 block with beefed up internals. Please tell me I'm right and its not built by Mazda because I'd rather not believe the possibly best or maybe only good Ford in the last while has a Mazda engine. Thanks

correct me if im wrong, but its 3.8 block is slightly different, and it does have beefed up internals,(check tech articles, however, the 5 speed transmission is a mazda, i think m5r2? but the rear end is a independent suspension, 8.8 ford rear, i think ford put the mazda transmission in it because the t-5 which would of been used, wasnt strong enough, i would go to the tech articles and check them.

The trannys are Mazda. By the way did you guys know that Ford owns part of Mazda and Jaguar? Mazda builds good cars, I would buy another one. When my wifes lease is up on her Altima we are going to buy a Millenia.

Bob

Ok here's the deal: The engine is all ford it is a 3.8 but it isn't the same as the NA. It is heavy duty (more metal between the cylinders and in the heads) and the internals are forged. The 5-spd trans is a mazda M5R2 that is used on fullsize trucks. Because a stock T-5 can''t hold up under 315 ftlbs of torque. It is modified to fit the bird/cougar body (I wish I could get one from a truck much easier to find) and the rest is ford. an 8.8 posi with 2.73:1 gears.

You are very cruel Dave....... :(

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass engine:stock Chevy 305

On a side note, my parents used to have a 1983 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Station Wagon with a "stock Chevy 305"

Thomas

Last edited:
Robert Kohlman said:
By the way did you guys know that Ford owns part of Mazda and Jaguar?

Actually Ford owns somewhere over 50% of Mazada, they keep buying more of it up every couple of years and I lost track around 50%. They also own all of Jag, Land Rover, Aston Martin and Volvo, plus the domestic brands.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. No offense was intended calling it a superchicken, I'm more of a GM fan and i still call my car the Gutless Slutlass, and I call firebirds firechickens. Its all just in fun. On a serious note, I think the Supercoupe was the best Ford made in its time. My cousin sold hers with 430000km on it, original engine and tranny. The parts to keep them running are expensive but the car is built to last a long time.

My Gutless Cutlass is slow by my standards but all the Sunfires and Cavaliers and Civics and Talons that think they are fast get their asses kicked and think my cars souped up.

Thomas, how'd the Caprice work? The early 80's ones were bad for soft camshafts going flat and the overdrive tranny's hadn't quite been worked out yet so they didn't last like the newer ones or 1970's did.

Man, that car was the biggest POS they ever bought. They've had nothing but Fords since then :) Although my dad's 1979 wagon with the 350 had 298K when he parked it. It needs a new carb and she'd fire up and drive another 100K!

Thomas

Back