Water Pump

89_Red_Xr7

well heres the story. i was driving home from a meeting tonight, when all of the sudden WHITE smoke is pouring out from the hood....NOOOOOOO.

now i have no car and need to find a good pump for a reasonable price (the ford dealership here RIPS you off with their prices)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

I put a NAPA pump on mine a few years back, and it lasted as long as the stock pump. I believe it was $60 at the time.
I've gone through 3 on mine in 210k (original stock one and 2 aftermarkets).
I'd personally avoid Auto-Zone or Discount Auto parts pumps, they're guaranteed, but it's not something you want to tear back into prematurely to get a free pump, and if their alternaters and other parts are any indicators, you'd probably have to. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just started to change my water pump. I didnt know it was going to be a weekend project. If you haven't done this it can be a long project. I didn't know how much I had to disassembly to get to he pump and now I need gaskets for the intercooler tubes. I believe that I will have to go to Ford to get them. I got mine at AutoZone. The price was $82. They did not have it in stock, but was deliveried in two days. The price was for a new pump. Hope you have better luck than I had, At the end of the ay went to PUSH the car into the garage and found out that the driver rear brake is locked up and the rotor is shot. Owell the wife keeps saying it is my toy.

Go to NAPA and get their new pump. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. Changing the pump is a little bit more involved than it looks but it really is not that bad. You can use copper rtv to reseal the IC tubes to the IC. A number of people here have done that, including me, and have had good success with it.

Go to NAPA and get their new pump. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. Changing the pump is a little bit more involved than it looks but it really is not that bad. You can use copper rtv to reseal the IC tubes to the IC. A number of people here have done that, including me, and have had good success with it.

My car has 98K on it and I dont know if the water pump has been replaced at all, i've put about 7K on the car since I have had it. Not sure how long the orginal pump is good for so would it be a good idea to just replace it now and be proactive or can I get some more miles out of it?

I know other stuff needs replacing at 100K like spark plugs and supercharger fluid, anyone have suggestions about ohter things I should pay attention to?

Back