Whistling V8

That is definitely the sound of a whining hydraulic pump. I would say your front pump is on its way out. Start saving for a new transmission ASAP.

But would be the tranny even if the car is in N or P? :confused:

Front pump? Yep.

As long as the motor is turning, the front pump SHOULD be also.

After all, that's where it builds the hydraulic pressure to do the majiks internally *grins*

RwP

It's much more difficult to diagnose from a video than it would be in person. I'd pull the serpentine belt and start the engine just to verify that it isn't anything in the FEAD. I assume you've checked the transmission fluid already (both level and condition). If the noise is still prevalent with the serpentine belt removed, then I'd agree, it sounds like the front pump is shot.

It's much more difficult to diagnose from a video than it would be in person. I'd pull the serpentine belt and start the engine just to verify that it isn't anything in the FEAD. I assume you've checked the transmission fluid already (both level and condition). If the noise is still prevalent with the serpentine belt removed, then I'd agree, it sounds like the front pump is shot.

If you watch the video closely, the belt has already been removed.

If you watch the video closely, the belt has already been removed.

That leaves a timing chain, possibly chewing on a backed out bolt or failed tensioner, or the trans...

I'd inspect the trans pan for metal...

There is also this new device :)

As well as the low-tech stethoscope.

Last edited:
That is the distinct sound of a hydraulic pump cavitating. That is not the sound of a bolt, and it is not a vacuum leak.

Tks, guys. I´ve already bought the stethoscope and will check the oxygen sensor connection. I also guess it is the front pump, onde there is a delay on the transmision when leaving my garage (steep climbing) and this sound started after many repairs, including a tranny reapair.

trans is my guess...mine made that sound and then 3 days later it had the ratchet when was cold and and 2 days after that it went out...
check TV cable adjustments and trans fluid...

Last edited:
trans is my guess...mine made that sound and then 3 days later it had the ratchet when was cold and and 2 days after that it went out...
check TV cable adjustments and trans fluid...

Considering it is the trans fluid. What exactly do I need to check?

pull the dip stick from the filler tube and see if its in the hash marks while ur car is warmed up, it should be bloody red colored and smell like detergent ..if its black and smelly like burnt rubber ur trans is going out

...and this sound started after many repairs, including a tranny reapair.

Was the transmission removed from the engine? Did it begin directly thereafter? If the TC wasn't seated correctly, it could kill the front pump in a heartbeat.

Was the transmission removed from the engine? Did it begin directly thereafter? If the TC wasn't seated correctly, it could kill the front pump in a heartbeat.

It's either seated or not. Typically if you bolt up a bell housing to the engine block with an improperly seated converter you jam up the converter on the pump and crack the pump gears. When this happens the engine typically won"t rotate or the pump is inoperative altogether.

It's either seated or not. Typically if you bolt up a bell housing to the engine block with an improperly seated converter you jam up the converter on the pump and crack the pump gears. When this happens the engine typically won"t rotate or the pump is inoperative altogether.

Using the bolts to pull the bellhousing tight to the engine can also put pressure against the pump without breaking the gears...the noise it makes sounds the same as what I can hear in the video.

Using the bolts to pull the bellhousing tight to the engine can also put pressure against the pump without breaking the gears...the noise it makes sounds the same as what I can hear in the video.

Wouldn't there be a grinding noise as opposed to a cavitation sound? Would an unseated converter actually drive the fron pump at all? That key way only fits in two positions.

It'll whine like mad. Yes, with pressure up against it, it'll spin the pump enough to make some noise. Why is this such an issue? It obvious that the transmission needs to be pulled at this point.

Back