leather seat install.

bumpskier45

Has anyone ever purchased the leather kit from bill at supercoupe performace,anyone have a review of these,and are they easy to self install or am i better off just getting it professionally done?

Has anyone ever purchased the leather kit from bill at supercoupe performace,anyone have a review of these,and are they easy to self install or am i better off just getting it professionally done?

Depends on how patient you are. Its doable. I did my set on my own.
Pros: You can take the time to fix broken springs, lube slider rails. Most importantly.. this is the time to rebuild the foam so that is fills out the seat cover and levels the seat.

Cons: Time. An upholstery shop also has experience and materials and will move a lot faster. Getting the old hog rings off is a pain. Those dinky hog ring pliers.. hurt your hands like hell. I wrapped about 5" of duct tape, for padding, on the ends just to get some relief from the bruising.

My set looks super. I have the black/red I get compliments about it all the time. :cool:

Last edited:
Depends on how patient you are. Its doable. I did my set on my own.
Pros: You can take the time to fix broken springs, lube slider rails. Most importantly.. this is the time to rebuild the foam so that is fills out the seat cover and levels the seat.

Cons: Time. An upholstery shop also has experience and materials and will move a lot faster. Getting the old hog rings off is a pain. Those dinky hog ring pliers.. hurt your hands like hell. I wrapped about 5" of duct tape, for padding, on the ends just to get some relief from the bruising.

My set looks super. I have the black/red I get compliments about it all the time. :cool:

Ditto. I have done a set on my car last Summer. They look awesome but it is a chore. It took me an entire day. it was worth it but be prepared to struggle.

Most importantly.. this is the time to rebuild the foam so that is fills out the seat cover and levels the seat.

How did you go about rebuilding the foam? What type of materials (foam and tools) did you use and any recommended sources?

I used thin (or not so thin at times) layers and adhesive (spray or tube) of old foam I had sitting around. I'd recommend a heavy weight foam for the seat base if you can find it. The lighter weight stuff is better for filling out voids and for shaping. Hobby shops sell the cheap crap which may be just fine.

For one of my seat bases, the spring + foam had fatiqued so much that I used a 1" thick piece of more rigid foam and shaped it and tapered the edges to get it to look right.

I would recommend keeping the existing shaped foam (as no replacement is available), as long as it's not completely destroyed. Then add foam underneath to restore lost thickness. And put a piece of carpet or burlap on the underside so the wire grid won't cut through it like it cut through the stock piece.

Get some urethane foam and get yourself a heat knife. Then you can cut any shape needed to add foam as the previous poster suggested. Adding foam is ok but trying to replace what you have altogether is not OK.

Back