Differential housing/pod

SquirrellyTbird

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the differential housings are different from super coupes to regular tbirds. I am looking for a spare pod/housing to build. Thanks!

Watch out ... some non-supercharged Thunderbirds (might be all the non-supercharged 3.8s) got a 7.5" rear end housing instead of the 8.8". V8 cars should have the 8.8", as far as I know.

There is also difference in 8.8 differentials i have found. Tbird and Mk 8 8.8s have smaller crosspin and pinion gears than the F150 does. Not sure if mustang 8.8 has bigger pinion gears like F150, but they still use same clutches and are a little tougher. If you wanted to use the side gears from F150 and diff all together, just use a stone and a grinder to cut a bevel on the side gears equel to that of the tbird sidegears. As long as it is 28 spline your good. I have also heard of someone taking the circlips off the axles and being fine.

There is also difference in 8.8 differentials i have found. Tbird and Mk 8 8.8s have smaller crosspin and pinion gears than the F150 does. Not sure if mustang 8.8 has bigger pinion gears like F150, but they still use same clutches and are a little tougher. If you wanted to use the side gears from F150 and diff all together, just use a stone and a grinder to cut a bevel on the side gears equel to that of the tbird sidegears. As long as it is 28 spline your good. I have also heard of someone taking the circlips off the axles and being fine.

Thunderbirds have irs so they are not like the F150 or Mustang. Only the Mark VIII and irs Cobra are similiar.

your right if you mean the housing. The differential carriers are the same. I have a f150 carrier in my Cougar now. Has bigger cross pin and pinion gears, which is good because the Tbird Mk8 cross pin and pinion gears like to gaul easy. I think because its so small and easy to over load.

Back