Accessory bracket

How hard is it to remove the accessory bracket without removing the power steering pump pulley?

I'd say harder than it is to rent the tool and save yourself the grief, otherwise :)

Doing so also give you the chance to replace the front seal.

I just need access to remove the water pump, no auto stores open at this hour :( power steering pump is brand new

I haven't looked in awhile but I think it was 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock and 8 o'clock. I can che k tomorrow.

Four are straight forward.

2 are kinda obscured. 1 is in the crotch just above the bracket arm going to the T Cover. Mystery stud is literally behind the bracket arm.

Some have a hole cut into the arm to get better access.

You may have enough room for the T Cover if you use the stud that connects the lower return pipe. Pull everything up and over and hook it onto the battery tray.

Bungee cord may not hurt either.

Paul

Go buy the tool. Its cheap. You'll use it again sometime in the near future. :)

Lol yea I broke down and pulled the pulley, threw away the bracket and put the bolts back in. It was too much trying to find all the bolts and then trying to access them. Water pump is out and awaiting for my new Cardone from Rock Auto, thanks guys :p

Also, i meant to say this earlier but i forgot. When the water pump came off it leaked some coolant down into the timing cover.. is that gonna be tolerable or did i just create a lot more work for myself?

Also, i meant to say this earlier but i forgot. When the water pump came off it leaked some coolant down into the timing cover.. is that gonna be tolerable or did i just create a lot more work for myself?
I wouldnt' worry with it unless it was a lot.. Maybe drain 1 qt of oil out to catch whatever coolant dribbled into the pan.

What do you mean you threw away the bracket? You need to reinstall it.

Do not EVER take a chance and run coolant in the oil. It turns the oil into a coffee colored smoothie that trashes bearings. You want to take a chance like that for a $30 oil and filter change?

What do you mean you threw away the bracket? You need to reinstall it.

Do not EVER take a chance and run coolant in the oil. It turns the oil into a coffee colored smoothie that trashes bearings. You want to take a chance like that for a $30 oil and filter change?

Everyone says that bracket is useless..
Only reason I asked about the oil is because i just put $45 of castrol full synthetic titanium blend motor oil in and it hasn't even been cranked up since I put it in, lol
Guess I just wasted $45, it got at least a few ounces in there

Drain it, strain it and put it back. The coolant will stay at the bottom and will be easy to separate from fresh oil.

I disagree on the bracket. It is designed to keep the power steering pump from being pulled under load and thus hurting the bearings.

Everyone says that bracket is useless..
Only reason I asked about the oil is because i just put $45 of castrol full synthetic titanium blend motor oil in and it hasn't even been cranked up since I put it in, lol
Guess I just wasted $45, it got at least a few ounces in there
A drop isnt going to cause a problem. Lots of drops maybe. But physics is your ally. As long as you haven't started it, you should be able to drain out a small amount, like a quart or so, pour it into a tall narrow container (like a 1L plastic soda bottle) look it over, and decide from there. Its a calcuated risk. Depending on the separation of the fluids, I might even try to slide the top floating oil into another container, reuse it, and toss the leftover. The smaller the container, the better the vertical separation.

As for the bracket, Im a purist.. I put it back on because I think it belongs there, and i have the pulley tool :D, but there is lots of testimony that not having it doesn't cause any problems.

Of course, this is how i tend to clean my engines :eek: This was the HG job I did before taking it out for a weekend of redline running track work.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I disagree on the bracket. It is designed to keep the power steering pump from being pulled under load and thus hurting the bearings.

I've had that bracket off my car for 7 years now and so has everyone else with a twin screw blower.

David

Back