1989 tbird sc 35th anniversary edition Help!!

MB89SC

i bought a 89 t bird sc. it does not work, its automatic, 117,xxx miles. i want to rebuild it but just need some help! the previous owner said he bought it from his friend but they did not know why it dont start.

it wont start with the key? when i tried to start it with the device next to the battery, it did turn but it wont start. it is getting spark, and fuel? any help?

i also need the passenger side valve cover if you know where i can order one online please reply with a link! thanks!!

Attachments

• 0429131313a.jpg
    0429131313a.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
35th Annies are 1990.

Did you press down and hold the brake pedal while starting?

Does it turn over when you turn the key? If not, then the neutral safety switch is fried.

Does it turn over when you turn the key? If not, then the neutral safety switch is fried.

It could be many things. Assuming a neutral safety switch without knowing more information is a total shot in the dark. It could be a broken wire, failed ignition switch, etc.

True, but I have seen many nss burn up in my unmentioned amount of years doing this cr*p but never a broken wire. If the interior wiring is unmolested, I would assume ns switch.

True, but I have seen many nss burn up in my unmentioned amount of years doing this cr*p but never a broken wire. If the interior wiring is unmolested, I would asume switch.

Is your recommendation, without any additional troubleshooting, to replace the NSS?

I could be wrong. It happened once before.

There usually are signs that the ignition switch is working including testing it at the starter relay. Simple enough to do to eliminate it.

I have had three ns switch issues on three different cars. On my 1991SC it was not burned out but needed the wires switched due to a 4R70W swap but the effect was the same, turn the key and nothing happens.

The first line was a joke in case you were thinking about it. I have been wrong at least twice that I can remember.

Drop the plastic bezels from around the steering wheel at the dash and check to see if the large multi-wire switch is coming apart...as noted, this is a pretty common problem, with the fix being a new switch which should be readily available.

Next might be to check grounds....front of the pass. side motor mount over to the body - replace it if it looks aged.

See if there is enough juice in the system to pull the codes.

See this link for no-start troubleshooting:
http://mnharms.com/tutorials/disnostart/

Why not just check for continuity at the solenoid while someone turns the key? Then for continuity at the neutral safety switch?

This car could also have a factory alarm or the remnants of one that shuts the ignition off.

My point is it could be many things and your best bet is to poke around a bit first with a test light before you start tearing the car apart or just replacing parts until you are certain of the issue.

thank you guys for the help i'll start to look at the places you all told me. any reason why when i turn the key to start it, nothing happens?

Define nothing happens. It does not turn over? Any of the above mentioned switches burned out will cut the power from the starting circuit.

Before you get too far along, a very simple check is to look in the trunk to see if the fuel pump impact switch has been tripped. Red button on the LH side.

another question for you guys...... i also have a 93 t bird LX.. i am unable to switch the title on the 1990 sc... would it be a good idea just to swap everything to the lx??? i mean swap everything it needs engine, motor mounts all the wiring, axles, etc... everything, would i be able to?? what you guys think?

no im not pressing the brake, shall i??

Yes. Try pressing and holding the brake pedal while turning the key to the "START" position.

another question for you guys...... i also have a 93 t bird LX.. i am unable to switch the title on the 1990 sc... would it be a good idea just to swap everything to the lx??? i mean swap everything it needs engine, motor mounts all the wiring, axles, etc... everything, would i be able to?? what you guys think?

It's doable, but it's a lot of work.

For a couple years, the ignition would not be allowed to complete without depressing the brake pedal. This was meant to prevent a child from being able to start the car. Why can't you change the title?

i had that problem and ended up having the 80amp ignition fuse replaced and it starts like new now its located in the fuse box under the hood

Back