Are seat skins/seats left & right only?

SuperCoupe

I guess my question is will a passenger seat skin fit on the driver's seat?

Also can you bolt a passenger seat to the driver's side or do the seat controls make that not possible?

I've always been curious about this, but I've never read anything about it being done.

The main thing about the skins is the fold forward lever on the back.

And no you can't bolt the whole thing in the opposite side. You might be able to unbolt the seat from the frame and swap them.

everything above the seat base is the same left to right.

the base (part with motors, switches, pumps ect) unbolt from the seat frame and can be swapped.

Thanks guys..good to know. So I could take an upper seat skin from a passenger seat and put it on a driver side

The hole for the lever on the back of the seat would be in the wrong location but besides rhathat should work.

-Tim

Ive never done a skin swap but it was my understanding that you had to cut the holes for the headrest would the back lever be the same? or am I think of the old kits

My seats are in fairly descent shape aside from the drivers door side bolster, so if I can get away with just changing that, I'd be good to go. I have no other rips, cuts or tears. A friends mother works for an upholstery shop, so she might even be able to just redo the bolster, i dunno. I will probably go with new front SCP skins down the road, but my shredded bolster drives me crazy in the meantime.

I dunno... I did the swap oooh around 2003. Dan at 5 star contacted the vendor who made the original seat covers for Ford and had a leather set made for my Anniversary Cougar. As far as I remember they were all not the same part number. :confused:

I purchased upholstery tools and clips purchased from JC Whitney to do the job. The cheap tools made it much more labor intensive than it should have been. I ended up using some of my own tools in combination forcing the old clips back into position using pliers and needle nose. What a pain...
:mad:

I should have asked him for the contact...

Attachments

• new console.JPG
    new console.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I don't see the big deal on pliers unless yall have really cheap sets. At work we are provide a set of cast, spring opening, adjustable stop, non-cushioned ones similar to ones McMaster-Carr has for ~$12 they work just fine. No complaints and are infinitely better than normal pliers.

Back