Custom LED center trunk panel

kostaccio

So I miss having the LEDs in the center trunk panel like my ol' 95 Bird had. So the past 2 days, I shopped online and I bought some LED strips, came up with a plan, and installed them in a spare center panel I had so I could have light shining up the center panel. I also painted the bottoms of the tail lights and center panel black, and painted the emblems in the center with the Cobalt Blue model paint (It is the closest match to the 35th anniversary color according to the 35th Anniversary Registry site). The end result is this.

Attachments

• 0510131710.jpg
    0510131710.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 0510132048.jpg
    0510132048.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 0510132048a.jpg
    0510132048a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 0510132049.jpg
    0510132049.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 0510132049a.jpg
    0510132049a.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 201
Now this sounds like something a beginner such as myself might be able to do. Looks good!

It was pretty easy, I mean I work in automotive restoration and see people fabricating custom stuff everyday, so I felt comfortable doing this. It's pretty straightforward. Sure beats swtiching trunk lids just to have an LED panel

It was pretty easy, I mean I work in automotive restoration and see people fabricating custom stuff everyday, so I felt comfortable doing this. It's pretty straightforward. Sure beats swtiching trunk lids just to have an LED panel

And alot cheaper. Nice work. :D

You should have documented the install with your camera and posted a step by step.

I actually have a few pics from along the way, but it was pretty simple to figure out. I used basic garage items like a dremel with a cut-off disc, LED strips that came with 3M tape on the backside, Chrome tape, clear silicon, super glue, electrical tape, black plastic trim paint, 2500 grit sandpaper, and a soldering iron. When I get a chance I will try and post a full detailed description of how I installed the lights, and how I wired them up to the license plate lights as my power source. I had some trouble uploading this post the other day, not sure if its the forum or my internet.

They look amazing at night, and it only cost me a few bucks and about 10 hours to do. I was going to buy a trunk and tail lights from a 92 or newer 'Bird but that would've involved too much painting and time.

I was going to play with something like this but a bit different. Just havent found the energy. Looks good. you should try it with some burnt out 94-95 tailights that are set up to diffuse the LED lights

A step by step would be fantastic for this, as good led tail lights are becoming rare for our cars

Fast fredie tail lites

WHAT I DID WAS WAS ON THE EARLY LITES 89-92:eek: CUT OUT THE BLACK PLASTIC BEHIND THE T- BIRD EMBLEM :rolleyes: ABOUT A 12 X 6 IN SECTION :) THEN DID THE SAME ON THE METAL TRUNK LID :D U WILL FIND A HOLES RIGHT THERE:p U CAN HOOK UP NEW LIGHTS:eek: USE DOBULE FILAMENT BLUBS & HAVE TURN & 4 WAYS & BRAKE+ PARKING ALL IN 1 :confused: WITH THE BACK TAIL LITES:cool: BY SPLICINING INTO TAIL LITE HARNESS :)

I have to sit down this week and do a step by step... kinda busy seeing I always have 105733893 things to do when i get home from work. I wanted to try the LEDs in the bottom first before I started cutting up a whole rear trunk panel since this one was in great shape. I may eventually (if I find the time) put some more at the top of the center panel. I think Ford should have done these tail panels like they did with the newer Birds and had the LEDs already in them

Back