Exhaust.

RAC91SC

Trying to tackle a few things at once... just posted trying to figure out my "trunk of bodies" appearance, and some other things too... I hear that these cars are heavily restricted and I had an exhaust leak... I took it to a local shop to have the converters deleted. this was to rid the exhaust of leaks, lower restriction, and lose the heat shield rattle I have... When I picked it up last night I was displeased to find that they had simply gutted the converters and fixed the leak... Now my SC sounds like an old farm truck. I was wondering if there were any straight pipe bolt on options to get rid of the converters without getting a complete system... and hopefully a fairly inexpensive solution as well.

If you want a complete system check out either www.supercoupeperformance.com or look up mandrel exhaust systems. And yes, the cats are a restrictive portion, especially since the drivers side is at a 90 degree angle, but also the center resonator goes down to 1 7/8" which is a huge pinch point. If you wanna do it cheap just for the time being, you can throw in a high flow resonator until funds are built up for a complete exhaust. So again, you have a few options. I personally am in favor of running high flow cats (can be purchased from bill at scp from the link listed above as well. But again, it's all a matter of opinion.

yeah... I looked on super coupe performance... i like the pipes they have that are just straight pipes... but I dont like the thought of matching them up to the rest of my pipes... eventually it will all be replaced... but currently i just want it to not sound like a farm truck

If you don't want it to sound like a truck throw a set of high flow cats and down tubes in. They can be purchased through bill and will line up to your stock exhaust manifolds. All you'll have to do is weld them to the rest of the system (not really a big deal)

Well... excellent point you make, but if I were going to buy those, they are like $306, and the same pipe minus the converters on the site are $185. so I would still be spending more money to do the high flow converters... inspection is not an issue unless I move to another state... so I'd rather just not have the converters at all....

These cars are significantly louder without cats though. In order to quiet it down you'd need to select a set of quiet mufflers and a quiet center resonator

These cars are significantly louder without cats though. In order to quiet it down you'd need to select a set of quiet mufflers and a quiet center resonator

What's a good quiet resonator? I'm planning on ditching the cats as well and doing 2.5-3-2.5 with borla pro xs resonator and mufflers, but I don't want something super loud

What's a good quiet resonator? I'm planning on ditching the cats as well and doing 2.5-3-2.5 with borla pro xs resonator and mufflers, but I don't want something super loud

That's what I have and it sounds great plus the borla is stainless and won't rot away in 5 yrs

If you don't want it to sound like a truck throw a set of high flow cats and down tubes in. They can be purchased through bill and will line up to your stock exhaust manifolds. All you'll have to do is weld them to the rest of the system (not really a big deal)

You don't need cats, I have long tubes to two 2.5 into the borla 3" out to 2 2.5 magnaflow mufflers and it sounds great! The only thing the cats will effect is you will smell raw fuel at the exhaust.

You don't need cats, I have long tubes to two 2.5 into the borla 3" out to 2 2.5 magnaflow mufflers and it sounds great! The only thing the cats will effect is you will smell raw fuel at the exhaust.

By no means an I arguing that cars without cats sound bad. My 1969 Camaro has headers and no cats and sounds outrageous. It's just as with most things, exhaust notes are a matter of personal preference. Some people like the loud "whole block turns to see who's coming sound" while others prefer the light rumble and a little throaty

i have high flow cats, magnaflow resonator, and borla pro xs mufflers, and mine sounds like a cammed v8 at idle.

these cars have v-6s and and will never sound like a v-8 at any rpm above idle. to me they don't really sound like a v-8 even at idle. quiet is good for these cars on the exhaust side and loud on the intake side. thats just what i like.

Yeah. Never gonna sound Luke a v8 but we have two gt mustangs with straight pipes so I can get the v8 fix from them hahaha

i just ordered the stainless 2.5" mandrel bent to x pipe from mandrel exhaust systems, ill let you know how they are when i get them in

Last edited:
Back