17 in. rims/ tires/ ABS

James Kanteraki

I'm sorry because i know this kind of stuff has been on the board before.

But, what offset is needed for 17 wheels for the bird??
what size tires does everyone run on their 17s??
Whats max on the front and back, are you running different widths front to rear??

Could you also include tire make and model.

And have you noticed any effects to the ABS. I know that having different tire sizes can make the computer read different speeds, but there has to be a zone in which it is ok to be different.

Any input would be nice. Maybe i can hang on to all the info i'm getting and do a write up about wheels and tires and such. Maybe brake info too, thats my whole project over this christmas brake from school.

ohh yeah FIY i'm looking at changing to mustang bolt pattern if that matters to anyone

thanks
jim

Last edited:
Offset of the rim will depend on the width you chose ...

If you keep the same tire diameter all the way around, or within a few percent, the ABS won't care, even if the diameter is a bit shorter than stock ... it's only comparing the wheel speeds to other corners, it doesn't have a fixed value that it needs to see.

Tire size will depend on rim width, and if you want something that's close to stock diameter or not. Many people have 245-45-17, which will be roughly 1" smaller than stock. Another common size used on SC Birds is 255-45-17, usually just over 1/2" shorter than stock. 245-50-17 is almost identical to the stock tire diameter, but choices in that size are somewhat limited.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

i completely forgot

yeah sorry the wheels are going to be 17x9.

So what offset does that require??
Oh and what offset for a 17x8 just for reference.

So its determined by all the corners, ok. I was thinking of going with like a 275/45 at rear, which is just a hair under stock, which would mean no trans/speedo gear change, and was thinking of a 255/xx up front, cause 275 seems a little too wide for front, and expensive

thanks for the input

jim

Last edited:
watch:01

i run 17"x7" ford svt t-bird wheels that are easily fit with 245-45 kumho ecsta z-rated. nice tire but like he said the 1" smaller causes the speedo to be 4mph off no biggie but i think it gives too much wheel gap. so with your 17x9 you should be able to easily fit the width of 245 or maybe one or two series higher. if you go with the 245 get a 50 profile to eliminate any wheel gap, looks much better if i am correct from when i was buying tires yokahoma sells a 245-50 z-rated, the 245-50 are harder to find than 245-45.

Tires and Wheels

I am running 255 45 17's on Cobra R rims (17X9) Looks really good, especally if the car is dropped 1.5", otherwise to much air between top of tire and fender. If you do decide to go this wide be careful, after I lowered my car and put on this wheel package the tire rubbed the fender on the drivers side under hard cornering. Not a good thing. I cured this problem buy having the rear fenders "rolled", this cracked the paint and I had to have the quarters repainted. I don't want to scare you but, these are some of the problems you may encounter. Good Luck

hey wantan17 you got pic of those wheels on the car???

As for lowing no need to worry about that, cause it ain't gonna happen. I encounter rather hazzardous driving conditions all the time it seems, plus I already find it a pain in the ass to get the jack under the car.

still i think around a 250 something series is the widest i'd want to go up front, you for steering purposes.
thanks for the input,

now all i need is a check on the offset needed for the bird for 17x9's and 17x8's

thanks
jim

I use 255/45 ZR 17's on the front, and 285/40 ZR 17's on the back, with a 17x 9 rim all around. Works great for me .

Back