automatic issue

unclefester

was wondering if anyone here has experienced this. car seems to start out in second. so i tried putting it in first at the next traffic light and when i went to take off it felt as if the rear end was locked up or the brakes where stuck on. put right back into drive and it took off fine like it was in second thought.

the car is a 94 ford thunderbird sc 3.8 supercharged it has been in a five year storage in a garage some old ladies car. battery went dead so she parked it. i have had it for a month drained gas,new fuel pump and fuel filter, i broke the gas gauge(still broke), had to add three quarts of tran fluid. regular maintenance. what do you all think? is she toast?

I’m no expert but it sure doesn’t sound good. My first thought after reading your post is it could be a MLPS (manual lever position sensor) issue. This sensor is located on the outside driver side of your transmission. I believe there was a TSB on the 94/5 MLPS,s. One thing I do know is if it comes down to a tranny rebuild I wouldn’t bother. You would be much better off scoring a good 98 – 2002 4R70W transmission form a V6 Mustang. There are some minor changes needed to make it work with your SC but the early 4R70W’s are much weaker and much more prone to have major problems than the years listed above. I actually have a 4R70W from a 2002 V6 Mustang in my 94 SC and I can honestly say it’s one of the best modifications I’ve made on this car. Do a search on tccoa.com and you’ll find a boat load of information about the 4R70W transmission and what it takes to upgrade it.

PS I see you’re from Cincinnati. Allen Brown aka dirtyd0g on these boards is not that far from you (Batavia, oh) and he does a lot of transmission work for people on these boards. He’s one of the top go to guy’s around here for early to later model 4R tranny swaps (helped me a lot) and also makes performance torque converters which a lot of people around here are running. Contact him and I’m sure he can straighten you out.

Last edited:
Rear calipers

I had the same exact problem with two of my birds. Too it to the shop and had to replace both of my rear calipers. They were stuck in place and that's why it kept the rear wheels from turning.you could here it drag also.

Regards,
Ramon

Five years in storage, I would look at the brakes too. I puchased a 2000 Mustang last spring that sat for 5 years due to a burned out fuel pump. The brakes were so badly rusted that the car would not move. I had to reve the rotors, calipers etc. and break off the rust.

It drive fine and rolls fine in drive. Just pulls off the line in second. When the transmission is cold first works better. Maybe not normal but better. Going to drop pan and change filter. Lady had trans serviced every 50 thousand. Worth a shot. Brakes are in good working order I have checked them out. Going to need one new brake line I haven't got to yet

Troubleshooting

Good morning

Once you drop the pan and before you install the filter check the torque on the valve body bolts. Use a torque wrench. Loose or over tighten bolts might be the cause of erratic shifts. If you are up to it remove the valve body and check the valve gasket for tears. Have a replacement gasket ready.

Good luck.

It drive fine and rolls fine in drive. Just pulls off the line in second. When the transmission is cold first works better. Maybe not normal but better. Going to drop pan and change filter. Lady had trans serviced every 50 thousand. Worth a shot. Brakes are in good working order I have checked them out. Going to need one new brake line I haven't got to yet

Before pulling the pan, suggest adding a bottle of this stuff (Lubegard Red 60902). Alan at Dirtydog and a few other guys swear by the stuff. If it's got something sticking in the VB from sitting so long, this stuff should fix it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lbg-60902/overview/

David

I personally like the seafoam transtune for sticky transmissions and lucas trans stable for slipping issues..good luck with both products...

i am running the lucas trans stuff know. they didn't have the tran lube. i will have to look for the seafoam. i will see how the lucas stuff does. if i don't see a change by next weekend i will drain a quart and add something else.

lucas is for if your trans is slipping, if its starting in 2nd gear lucas will make it worse because it probly has something sticking and lucas is sticky to help stop slipping..
Seafoam is the exact opposite where as its like water thin but full of chems to clean off varnish and sticky residue left by old or contaminated fluids...

I already added the Lucas. Know I guess I have to change the fluid for sure. Dang it. Will a drain and fill. Be enough ? Or can I just add the seafoam? When I get. Enough out.

There are likely a number of people who will advise you either way. I'd give the Lucas some time to work. Besides slipping it does have a higher concentration of detergeants than standard trans fluid and may still help you out with the shifting problem.

Using the Lucas "Transmission Conditioner" would have been the best choice but I think Frankenbird is speaking more about the Lucas "Transmission Fix". They are two different chemicals. Not sure which you used.

IMHO, if the Lucas doesn't work soon I'd toss the Seafoam in with it. To the best of my knowledge they won't fight each other or do any harm mixed inside the transmission.

I like the Lucas products as I've had good luck with them in the vehicles I've used them in. The fuel injector cleaner of theirs is just fantastic.

I've used the Lubegurad for shudder and if it's a fluid issue and not mechanical the Lubeguard works great to eliminate it.

When you have it warmed up have you tried to accelerate shifting manually from low to drive ??
Can you feel, or see it on the tach shift 1-2 and 2-3 and then into OD ??

Is it just that it's not down shifting into first when you have it in "D"rive ??

aod troubles

Good evening

Suggestion. Siphon the amount of Lucas you added to the transmission fill tube. Walmart or Harbor Freight has hand pump type with long length hoes. Add the equal amount of TransTune. Great stuff to clean varnish in the transmission circuit. If valve body is sticking you should notice the change within a day. This is something I've done before on 170 K '89 LX Thunderbird following Lucas ("transmission fix") addition. If sticking valve problem is corrected monitor color and dipstick level
I personally leave it in until the next schedule change but I know other who drain and refill once the problem is corrected.

Good luck

I have tried putting in first and driving. When its hot it seems to bind up. When cold seems to be some binding. From what I can tell it skips second all together when she gets hot. When she cold she does start out in first. And seems to shift thur all the others gears good. Over drive button turns over drive off and on fine.. I can suck out enough to add the trans lube if it won't hurt to add it too the Lucas. I drove 50 mile at least with it in there. So it is in the trans good.

Back