Is stereo head unit common to.....

vettewars

Is stereo head unit common to vintage 89 to 92 SCs...and do cars which do not have the CD player on the bottom still provide a way of hooking that up to the head unit?

I have a 92 with standard cassette, but have a leftover CD unit from a 91...would like to hook that up to the 92 if that's possible. I wondered if there is already a hookup routed down below for it

I have an '89 without a CD player, and a '90 with a CD player.
Both head units are identical.
There was no wiring from the head unit to the CD player in the '89.

stereo head unit

You have to take the 18"+- silver or grey plug from the car with the CD unit. You also need the other wire harness that is spliced into the radio wires and make notes for installing the same way. The metal bracket sitting under the CD also needs to be swapped so the CD will stay in place in the dash. Good luck

when you say 18"+- do you mean about 18" or is this the power cord.
I would think the power + and - might be the splice into the existing harness you're talking about...which I could supply by some other means...
but if then you simply need the special "auxiliary cord" (with custom plugs I guess) to plug in the audio output of the CD unit into the "CD input" on the head unit....that might not be such a bad deal...do you think that's an easy thing to extract?

stereo

All of the wires from the first pic need to plug, splice, or screw into the second pic.

CDBack.jpg

RadioBack.jpg

Hey!
What's that big thick red wire on the back of the unit.
I'm assuming it's a ground. Did that come with your T-Bird or did you add that? The reason I ask is because mine doesn't have it. but I'm not the original owner so maybe it was removed from mine. If it's original, where does it go to?

(Does someone have a drawing showing the connection layout from the back of the head unit to the back of the CD player?)

I called my local Circuit City....I had them put a Kenwood 45W X 4 in the 91 SC I have...and with the install it was $250.

So I called just to check...he said this was probably one of the "easy" ones....and that there are actually 4 different versions of the JBL and its connectors.
On one, he says you can't splice in the Sub at all.
... and the worse case install on the one that you can splice in the sub is a $200 install. Best case is the one that has the connector access and that's about $50.
...to be continued...

I work for CC roadshop

If you have the factory sub, you shouldn't lose it, no matter how the install is. In the many of fords that i have done over the past years, we have, correction, i have always been able to make the sub kick. It does take some toying with, but it is possible. Also, I wouldn't pay CC or best try to put a radio in. Installing one in our cars is by far one of the easiest things you can do. If you can change your oil or a parking lamp, or an air filter, you can put a radio in your car. I'm not goin into detail, but if you gots questions, ask.

Alyn --- kenwoodsoundcar@aol.com --- email

newer kenwood's

Also forgot to add, the newer kenwoods are crap, atleast anything under $180, for the money, go with alpine or pioneer. My last car had everything kenwood, but it was excelon line, top model everything. There is a difference. I don't mean to put kenwood down, but some of their stuff has been goin to the crapper.

Back