Where to find a radiator and manual override

dakotaflstf

Where is the best deal on a new radiators for 91' SC and manual override system to have the fan kick on at lower temp? Thank you

Don't know what to suggest for the override, but for the radiator, try your Ford dealer for part number F2SZ 8005 B ... this is listed for a 92 auto. trans car, but will work in just about any SC. We put one in my 95 manual trans car a few years ago when my rad was pissing out fluid ... it's been fine. This particular number seems to be cheaper than all of the other years and models for whatever reason ... it is the plastic tank style with aluminum core.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

As to the Rad, I used a 4 core rad for a 1967 Mustang.

As to the fan, at the IRC (this is the large relay located in front of the Air box) cut the #14 (Low speed fan) wire this will turn on the Lo speed fan any time the engine is running.

Attach the IRC side if #14 to the #17 (the Hi speed fan) wire. Connect #17 to a switch that goes to ground. Use a thermister or toggle switch.

With the wiring mods done the low speed fan will come on any time the ignition switch is in run position. When #17 is grounded the Low speed fan will be turned off and the Hi speed fan will come on.

It is very important to turn off the low speed fan (by grounding the IRC side of the #14 wire). Failure to do so will cause the fan to operate at a reduced speed and burn out faster.

Thank you for the info on the rewire, but I was hoping for some overrride system to make the fan come on at lower temps. If there is nothing out there, then I may have to go with the toggle switch fix. Thank you

ok, what do u do with the other part of #14??(not the irc side) do u ground if perm, or to a toggle??

and where do u find a thermester at??:confused:

duston

i'm still confused:confused:

i'll try to explain this more....

you have to cut pin #14 to get the low speed on right.....and pin #17 is already grounded right.....to get the low speed to kick off, you have to ground pin #14 right.....so, if you cut pin #14, and then take the irc side of the wire, hook it to pin #17, run it to a ground toggle, it should work right?? so when you start the car, the low speed will run until u flip the toggle, which grounds pin #14 in turn shuts off low speed and turns on high speed.....but my question is what do you do with the other part of pin #14?? b/c you have the irc part of pin#14 hooked to pin #17 which is toggle grounded......would it hurt anything if you just put some black tape on it and left it be?? or should you ground it as well??

sorry if i'm confusing anyone!!! i'm confusing myself now.....lol

duston

I posted this on the SoCal forum.

The radiator came from Radiator Express. They're a national chain.

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/

They've got 3 depots in SoCal; Santa Fe Springs, San Beradino, San Diego, and 3 in NoCal; Fresno, Oakland and Sacramento.

I got it in 24 hrs, it's a new unit, all metal, OEM style, with separate IC bracket. Including taxes and shipping, it cost $199.96.

It went in with no hitches, and I didn't need the bracket, so if someone needs an IC mounting bracket just give a yell.

Lee

you only need high speed if you have a high heat problem. what i did is hooked up a toggle switch inline on #14 so i can let the engine warm up normaly then flip the switch to turn the fan on. if your car gets to the point were low deosn't keep it cool then you have another problem you need to look at. with low on constantly you shouldn't need high at all. i know i don't. my guage sits on the "n" on the stock guage all the time.
joe

U do nothing with the other cut #14 it goes to the puter. U can cover it with tape if U want. Feel free to contact me directly if U still need help. DO NOT GROUND IT!

you have to cut pin #14 to get the low speed on right.......

Right, either cutting the wire or breaking the circut will turn the low speed fan on.

and pin #17 is already grounded right...

Wrong.....it must be grounded to activate the high speed fan.

to get the low speed to kick off, you have to ground pin #14 right....

Wrong....you need to reconnect the circut, not ground it.

if you cut pin #14, and then take the irc side of the wire, hook it to pin #17, run it to a ground toggle, it should work right??

I don't think so. Your getting me confused now.

Use this diagram and substitute switches where controllers are shown. Doing it this way will shut down the low speed fan whenever the high speed fan is turned on. The low speed fan should always be started first to avoid pulling too many amps.

fan%20relays.jpg

David

Last edited:
damn, i wish i knew about radiator express when i bought mine. i paid almost 400 for a stock plastic one from ford. damn.
joe

might have it figured out............nope.....

ok, i cut or break 14....ok.......how would i get low to kick off and high to run?? b/c 17 has to grounded to turn on, how would i be able to run low, but then be able turn low off and then activate hi?? like in a series??? i'm pretty good at sterios and amps, atleast running them in a series....i'm just not really good at diagrams.....more of a hands on person, always have been.... one more thing KarDoktor, you say not to ground 14 right...., then y hook to 17 b/c you have to ground it to run??

just cut 14 and leave it alone. drive it around a little see if your temp gauge stays under control. if it works good like that then connect a toggle switch inline on wire 14 only. if everything is in order with your cooling system you probably won't ever need high speed.
joe

thats what i thought bout doin but.....i would like the high speed when drag racin.....just had a thought, .....could i be able to toggle the 14 and the 17?? just wondering b/c my brother-in-law thinks his neon will smoke me....i just laugh at him....its a 95 sohc. but he does have a venom computer and a ricer exhaust.. but i'll just see how cutting 14 will do, hopefully if will cool it down...well, when the fan comes on, only for bout a min or two, and it cools it from last leg of m to between r and m...so, hopefully it'll work....thanx for the help...

Back